ISO: Easier (faster) way to stone cherries?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I have on of those cherry "stone" removers. I still find it takes a long time (I want to do salmon with a cherry sauce). Is there an eaiser way to get the stone's out than using the stone-remover tool (rolling them under the blade of a knife like chefs do with olives?) Having not grown up where cherries could grow, I seem to have missed acquiring this skill...

Thanks.

I have an Oxo pitter that I sometimes use for olives. I would not want to do a whole jar at one sitting, but it does work well. Just set it in and squeeze the handle.

CWS4322 said:
I have on of those cherry "stone" removers. I still find it takes a long time (I want to do salmon with a cherry sauce). Is there an eaiser way to get the stone's out than using the stone-remover tool (rolling them under the blade of a knife like chefs do with olives?) Having not grown up where cherries could grow, I seem to have missed acquiring this skill...

Thanks.

I got a contraption from Chef's Choice catalogue. Called Leifheit Cherrymat. It has a hopper where you can put a bunch of cherries in, squish the handle, and out pops pitted cherries. Worked pretty slick, though I did have to check it occasionally as it could forget a pit once and awhille.

Dawgluver said:
I got a contraption from Chef's Choice catalogue. Called Leifheit Cherrymat. It has a hopper where you can put a bunch of cherries in, squish the handle, and out pops pitted cherries. Worked pretty slick, though I did have to check it occasionally as it could forget a pit once and awhille.

We had one like this (held lots of cherries in a sort of hopper and the all fed through. It always left a pit to end up in Dad's piece of pie! He used to get so mad! Later when Mom and Dad were a lot older, they picked a bunch of cherries and couldn't find the "pitter" so Mom got out a bobby pin. It worked like a charm, and you guessed it, no pit in the pie!

We had one like this (held lots of cherries in a sort of hopper and the all fed through. It always left a pit to end up in Dad's piece of pie! He used to get so mad! Later when Mom and Dad were a lot older, they picked a bunch of cherries and couldn't find the "pitter" so Mom got out a bobby pin. It worked like a charm, and you guessed it, no pit in the pie!

Why do Dads or Husbands always get the only bone or pit in any dish?

We get them too, it is just that we don't pitch a hissy about them, so it is not as . . . memorable.
That's what I was thinking! Dad complained so much that we were secretly happy when he did get the pit. Shhh:innocent:

That's what I was thinking! Dad complained so much that we were secretly happy when he did get the pit. Shhh:innocent:

Dad threw such a fit once, I asked him if he wanted "it" bronzed...I was an adult when I finally got the guts to ask him.

Dad threw such a fit once, I asked him if he wanted "it" bronzed...I was an adult when I finally got the guts to ask him.
If he is anything like my dad, you had to wait until you were an adult! If I would have said something like that to my dad as a kid, I may not have lived to be an adult! :ROFLMAO:

I grew up with my dad cooking. If any one complained about a cooking mishap he offered the job to any takers. I use the same method.

I forgot, his method to pit cherries was a short piece of copper tubing, slightly smaller in diameter than the cherry pit, sharpened with a file. Each pit was punched out with the tool. It took awhile to make a pie.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom