ISO help/advice steaming tamales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corby

Assistant Cook
I have bought some tamales and I need to warm them up. I normally just steam them but I have 3 dozen and I have to work all day. Can I use the turbo oven to steam them and also how long would it take. I just got my turbo oven for Christmas so I haven't got to use it yet.:question:

I made about 2 dozen tamales the other night as I helped my son (the professional cook) learn how to make the little beauties. I laid the tamales in the steamer in a layer, then stacked another layer on top but facing perpendicular to the first layer, then did the same with a third and fourth layer. I steamed them for 20 minutes and had 16 tamales done.

Do you need to cook all of them, or can some be frozen for future meals?

Additional note: I rolled my tamales in parchement paper instead of corn husks. It works wonderfully and lets go of the tamales like none other. Plus, I don't have to soak the parchment paper. After all, you don't eat the corn husks, so why not use an easier wrapper? Of course, when you are trying to show off your cooking skills, the husk wrapped tamales are fancier, at least until the tamales are unwrapped. But when you unwrap the tamales wrapped in parchment paper, you get these beautiful, tubular tamales with the filling all nice and even inside. Bonus - corn husks are a seasonal thing. Parchment paper is available year round.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom