ISO help w/broccoli soup instructions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumu

Senior Cook
need some advise here..... this rec. is from allrecipes.com called broccoli cheese soup. confused on the following direction.. in a stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. cook onions in butter until softened. stir in broccoli,and cover with chicken broth. simmer until broccoli is tender,about 10 to 15 min. Then says reduce heat and stir in cheese cubes until melted. mix in milk and garlic powder. Question do i leave it at medium heat for the 10 or 15 min. it takes to simmer the broccoli? THX.

need some advise here..... this rec. is from allrecipes.com called broccoli cheese soup. confused on the following direction.. in a stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. cook onions in butter until softened. stir in broccoli,and cover with chicken broth. simmer until broccoli is tender,about 10 to 15 min. Then says reduce heat and stir in cheese cubes until melted. mix in milk and garlic powder. Question do i leave it at medium heat for the 10 or 15 min. it takes to simmer the broccoli? THX.

That's how I read it.

I read it that way, but I'm not a stickler for following what a recipe says because it might not work in my kitchen. I would lower the heat until the water appears to be simmering. That might be less than medium and it could even be more than medium. If after 10 minutes the brocolli is way under cooked, I guessed wrong and I would jack up the heat.

Maybe it's the stove but leaving this at medium heat the full 15 min , I had to keep adjusting so wouldn't go to a boil. Couldn't keep it at a medium. Felt like I was fighting it on medium heat to stay at simmer for the amount of time they wanted.

I thought to simmer always bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Had another broccoli soup rec. and said put everything in pot and cover simmer over low heat. Does this seem right......

Could someone tell me if it was normal for me to have the broccoli and stock to boil instead of simmer at medium heat. I couldn't keep it at a simmer very long had to keep adjusting the setting. Is there something I should be doing so next time don't run into this problem. I found a video on this on their web site and it looks like they left at meduim heat for 15 to 20 minutes with out any problems. Any help appr. My soup did turn out good ,just a hassel with simmer at medium heat for 15 min... Can this be done this process ..since some of you say that's how I read it. How do you do it ....not trying to be dumb here but must be a way.

Last edited:
Your soup can come to a boil as long as you have not put the milk or cheese in, a higher simmer will not hurt your soup. Once the milk and cheese are in then it is sensitive to the higher heat and should never boil, only enough heat to melt the cheese.

The way I see it is to not having it at a boil, reduce heat to temper in the cheese so the cheese keeps it's structure and does not separate.

PS: I would also use heavy cream instead of milk.

Last edited:
Maybe it's the stove but leaving this at medium heat the full 15 min , I had to keep adjusting so wouldn't go to a boil. Couldn't keep it at a medium. Felt like I was fighting it on medium heat to stay at simmer for the amount of time they wanted.

You should go back to the thread you started on simmering and re-read that. The knob setting is not important. What's happening in the pot is.

I knew you would refer to the forum on simmering. I realize its what's happening in the pot .i just thought with what every one was saying it was suppose to be done at medium .one of the comments made at the recipe site was once it starts to simmer let it simmer there 15-20 min. I just thought if they did it must be the way....but like I said I did watch what was going on in the pot and knew medium for me was not letting me simmer. Would less liquid in the pot have anything to do with maybe not doing a simmer on medium? Just a thought

Like Andy suggested. Forget that you ever saw the word "medium" Just simmer the broccoli until its very tender and then take it off the heat and add the cheese.

Add the garlic powder at the beginning and not the end.

You have to use your common sense when following a recipe. If "medium" is too hot then turn it down to the level you find will simmer the pan's contents gently. The "15 minutes" are not written in stone either. If your broccoli takes more or less time to cook it's OK - The recipe writer will never know:)

I find that the burners on the hob of my new cooker are too hot for some things even at the lowest setting so I have acquired a "simmer mat" - a hollow, perforated metal mat that goes under the saucepan and dissipates some of the heat. It's also useful when making custard with eggs and milk/cream

Could someone tell me if it was normal for me to have the broccoli and stock to boil instead of simmer at medium heat. I couldn't keep it at a simmer very long had to keep adjusting the setting. Is there something I should be doing so next time don't run into this problem. I found a video on this on their web site and it looks like they left at meduim heat for 15 to 20 minutes with out any problems. Any help appr. My soup did turn out good ,just a hassel with simmer at medium heat for 15 min... Can this be done this process ..since some of you say that's how I read it. How do you do it ....not trying to be dumb here but must be a way.
If you fast boil when it isn't necessary you are wasting fuel (and therefore money)

Once it starts to boil water never gets any hotter, no matter how furiously it produces bubbles and bounces about. I assume this is the same with water-based things like stock. (OK, this was Year 7 science and I lost the scientific plot after that so don't shout at me if I'm wrong)

Re the recipe - what on god's earth is a loaf of processed cheese food? And why would you want to us it instead of real cheese?

Edit: don't bother explaining. I've just looked it up on Wikipaedia and don't think I could read it again! It appears to be like Kraft cheese slice which are vile.

Last edited:
Re the recipe - what on god's earth is a loaf of processed cheese food? And why would you want to us it instead of real cheese?

Edit: don't bother explaining. I've just looked it up on Wikipaedia and don't think I could read it again! It appears to be like Kraft cheese slice which are vile.

It's actually pretty tasty. The jalapeno flavor makes a great dip mixed with salsa and microwaved. I haven't bought it in ages, though, because it's so fattening and so addicting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom