ISO Homemade mock maple syrup recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DramaQueen

Head Chef
My friend, who is an organic/natural foods buff has a blog that I read every day. She posted a recipe for natural, home made maple syrup. Has anyone made thier own maple syrup? I know there are several recipes out there on google but I would like to hear from someone who has actually made their own. Please post the recipe and tell me if it tastes like the real thing to you. (My friend doesn't lke real maple syrup. Yeah, makes no sense to me either.) :LOL:

I'm not sure what kind of a recipe there would be. Maple syrup is made by boiling down sugar maple sap. The syrup is boiled down to 1/40 of the volume of the original sap.

Are you talking about a mock maple syrup?

I have had this for awhile but never tried it yet.

Homemade Syrup:

2 quarts water
1 teaspoon salt
6 pounds sugar
2 cups corn syrup
2 tablespoons maple flavoring
In a large saucepan, combine the water, salt, sugar and corn syrup. Place on the stove over medium-high heat and bring to a slow boil. Continue boiling at medium heat for about 1 1/2 hours until the syrup turns amber-colored.
Remove the syrup from the heat and add the maple flavoring. Ladle over the pancakes. The syrup is best served warm—it can be reheated on the stove or in the microwave.
Yield: 1 gallon

A friend of mine made a mock syrup - I'll have to call her to see what she did. It was butter, brown sugar, and would it be water? I posted earlier but it's got to be more than butter and brown sugar.

DQ - nothing will taste like the "real thing" except the "real thing".

Last edited:
A friend of mine made a mock syrup - I'll have to call her to see what she did. It was butter, brown sugar, and would it be water? I posted earlier but it's got to be more than butter and brown sugar.

DQ - nothing will taste like the "real thing" except the "real thing".

ANDY, yes, mock maple syrup.

KITCHENELF: I agree, nothing tastes as good as the real thing. My friend swears that she can't tell the difference. I'm sticking to the real thing. Here is her version, maybe a lot cheaper :

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 cup water
3 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp vanilla (maple extract can be used also)

Place sugars, water and cornstarch in a pan and heat to boiling. Off the heat and add vanilla or extract.

I thought i would look in my local amish cookbook. It is a great book made by all the amish family around our area.
Here is one that was submitted. Again haven't tried it.

Pancake Syrup
3 cups brown sugar (one 1-pound box)
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 or 2 cinnamon sticks, broken
1 teaspoon whole allspice
1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
Zest of one orange or one lemon
1 teaspoon maple extract (optional)
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
Mix brown sugar and water together. Add whole spices and citrus zest. Cover and let steep for several hours. Taste to see if spicy enough and, if so, strain into a container with a cover. Stir in maple and almond extracts. Store in the refrigerator.
Makes about 2 cups.

I hate maple syrup from the store. I think it's nasty. We just make the recipe that is on the Mapleline container. Boil sugar and water and add the maple flavoring. Some of these recipes sound really good, but I prefer it quick and simple.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom