ISO: Knock Your Socks Off Side for Fried Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks GotGarlic - someone did mention that gravy and rice would have been nice! Would have been simple to do along with the potato salad too. I was hoping for a bowl of potato salad for lunch but there's none left :( So, I guess it was a good choice!

Kitchenelf - I realize I am also late... but one of my favorites is a good coleslaw. My favorite is a KFC knock-off. It seems to give a light balance to the chicken, and complement the heavier density and flavors of the chicken. Asian type coleslaw is also good though..

Casper

I make a Baked Potato salad by baking potatoes, cutting them in half and cooling, then I scoop out all the potato into a bowl and mash it with equal amounts of sour cream and mayo, green onions, shredded cheddar and cooked crumbled bacon. I season it with salt and pepper. I then use the skins for, well potato skins (I don't waste anything!). Once I even cut them into small triangles, brushed with oil and seasonings and baked them, then just before serving I scooped small amounts of the salad onto the skin triangles for an appetizer. It was very popular!

Me, too. I wonder how it's done? Does it all stay together?

You use leftover mac and cheese. cut into pieces coat with seasoned flour (salt, pepper, cayenne if desired etc.) then egg wash then Panko bread crumbs and drop in the frier--I like peanut oil...

Crispy, cheesy and tasty!!!

I know this is too late, but just for the record, when my mom made her absolutely fabulous fried chicken when I was growing up (haven't made it in years - might have to if it ever gets cool here again), she made plain white rice and a wonderful gravy from the frying oil and seasoning flour.

Chicken Gravy

2 tbsp. frying oil from fried chicken
2 tbsp. seasoning flour from fried chicken
2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste

After frying chicken, pour off all but 2 tbsp. oil. Sprinkle flour over oil and whisk together, scraping up browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook over medium heat for a few minutes. Whisk in milk. Bring to a boil and boil 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve over rice.

Oh, this was my first thought, too! I haven't had fried chicken with rice & gravy in years either. My grandmother's was so good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom