ISO Marinated onions recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

licia

Executive Chef
I'm looking for a good recipe for marinated onions. They are sometimes served along side a meat dish. I have no idea where to start.

Marinated onions are divine. You can serve them many ways. You can cook them more ways. Main thing: good oil and I like a butter combination. You can cook them until they are totally brown and they will be sweet as honey. I like to cut mine in rings so you can have a bit of their total flavor, rather than chopping them up.

Carmelizing is what you are doing. It really concentrates the flavor of an onion. You can put them in your mashed potatoes and since St. Patty's Day is almost here, you can put them in your colcannon.

Just experiment. Go for it. Sauteed or carmelized onions are another of the many gifts from God. :clap:

If all you want to do is marinate them, just separate the rings, put them in oil and vinegar and whatever spices you like and let them stay in the frig for a few hours. Try making a marinated tomato, onion and anchove salad. It will be a hit. Even better if you can find Torpedo Onions!

On St. Patrick's Day I sliced way too many onions for making a Guinness and Onion Soup. I put the surplus onions in a ziploc bag and poured in a little Wishbone Italian dressing and a splash of white wine. We've enjoyed them all week - on sandwiches, hamburgers, and the last of them tonight in a tossed salad with chicken tenders.

I'm trying to remember how Mom did it. I think she did the salt thing first. I don't mean a brine, I mean bleeding them for a few hours (probably overnight), then rinsed and squeezed them. Then your favorite Italian style salad dressing. I can't remember the brand she bought, but it was something that was only available out west at the time. Whatever you like will do the trick. Hmmmm. I'd forgotten about the pure onion salad. For those who don't know, bleeding onions, cucumbers, and other vegetables is just putting them in a bowl layered with lots of salt, then a plate or bowl, weighted (a large can of tomatoes or something that size will do). Then every few hours you squeeze and drain the liquid. After an over-nighter, you taste. If it tastes good, fine, you're ready to dress. If it is too salty, rinse and squeeze again before dressing. It's sort of like making kimchee!

Back
Top Bottom