ISO: Marsala Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vyapti

Sous Chef
My cul-de-sac is having a bbq/block party this weekend. I'm looking for a Marsala sauce to pour over chicken or pork; Something that can sit on a buffet table and not lose it's consistency.

So far, I'm making a marsala & mushroom sauce from pancetta drippings. Normally, I whip in some butter, but I'm afraid that it will thicken too much as the butter cools.

Any suggestions?

You need to keep the sauce warm. Any fat in the sauce will solidify and become unappetizing.

That's the problem. I have no good way of keeping it warm and no electricity. I could serve it in a hot, ceramic bowl, but that's about it.

I've thought about using a little cream instead of butter or omitting the butter all together. The other option would be to bring it out just before the meat is served but timing may be an issue. Beer and BBQs often lead to poor time management.

You can always go out and buy a disposable chafing dish with a "sterno" heating can. They are throw away metal frames with aluminum inset pans with 2 "sterno" cans underneath. They sell in my area for about $10.00.

Perhaps someone else will chip in with you to keep some other hot dish safe and hot.

Does this "go" with BBQ? That said, I think it will be fine as is. If you are afraid it will thicken with the butter make it a little thinner.
Another way of keeping it warm would be the carry covers made for large dishes--have an insert that you heat in the microwave and put in the cover to keep the dish hot. They keep it VERY hot.

Many of my neighbors haven't tried Marsala, and are interested in doing so. I am also serving carrots cooked in marsala. I'm also hoping to expose any 'closet foodies' that may exist.

I'm going to grill chicken breasts marinaded in lemon, garlic & olive oil. It's not burgers & franks, but it's still BBQ. It'll be good.

Ahhhh. I will only slightly take you to task. While I do realize that in many parts of the country--maybe most--"BBQ" stands for "grilling out", in the Carolinas and the South to Texas, "BBQ" is a noun standing for pulled pork or pork BBQ. ;o)

Gretchen said:
Ahhhh. I will only slightly take you to task. While I do realize that in many parts of the country--maybe most--"BBQ" stands for "grilling out", in the Carolinas and the South to Texas, "BBQ" is a noun standing for pulled pork or pork BBQ. ;o)
In my dialect, it more accurately means beer and open flames :-p

If the dish is going to be held outdoors and not in A/C, the sauce shouldn't thicken too fast if you incorporate butter, unless the outside temp is cold. If you don't/can't get use the chafing dish/sterno method, you could also do the sauce up to the last second at home, then heat it on the grill and emulsify the butter just before you serve it.

Last edited:
Here is the recipe I usually use. It *does* call for butter, but I kind of want to experiment with it. I had a Chicken Marsala at a restaurant recently, and they had obviously used a bit of demi glace in there. Wonderful, velvety texture and depth of flavor.

Also, how about making your sauce up ahead, and keeping it in a thermos until time to serve?

Marsala Sauce

4 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 c chopped onion
2 garlic cloves
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
3 tablespoons dry Marsala
2/3 cup beef stock
1/c cream
salt and pepper to taste

In a large frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add onion and garlic and saute' until onion is tender. Add mushrooms and cook until they are lightly browned.

Stir in Marsala and beef stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until liquid reduced by one-third. Whisk in remaining butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Thanks, all. I'm going to try to time it with the meat and serve it in a hot ceramic bowl--no chafing dish. Besides, i can put a ceramic bowl on the grill, if I have to. It's 90 degrees out right now and should be hot tomorrow. I'll see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom