ISO Really Fresh Food source in Hollywood, CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevem

Assistant Cook
So I live in the heart of Hollywood, which is terrible when looking for fresh food.

Everything I buy usually goes bad within a few days to a week (for produce) and all my eggs, meats, etc. are poor to medium quality at best.

Does anyone know where I could go to get some really good and fresh food?

Whole Foods has become too "corporate" meaning they no longer really seem to care about the freshness of their food as much as they do their image of the "Fresh Food Store" - they were much better back in the days of "Ms Gooches".

Nature Mart just has way too small of a selection, but their bulk bin area in pretty nice.

Farmer's markets just never seem to fit into my schedule and don't always have that great of stuff either.

I'd be willing to travel outside the city limits as long as I know the food won't be rotten or anything within a few days.

Thanks for any help.

-Hungry in Los Angeles.

Hi, stevem. Welcome to DC.

As for your question, my daughter and her husband also live in the heart of Hollywood and don't seem to have a problem with fresh foods. They are very picky about their food and have had nothing but good things to say about where they shop most of the time. Their favorite food store is Trader Joe's. You might want to see if there is a location near you.

Yes I know of Trader Joe's as well, I should prbably try them out a little more often, I know I used to have a bad time there because I didn't like their selection but I have changed my taste since then (No longer live on Frozen Pizza haha).

Maybe I'll give them a try again.

stevem said:
So I live in the heart of Hollywood, which is terrible when looking for fresh food.

Everything I buy usually goes bad within a few days to a week (for produce) and all my eggs, meats, etc. are poor to medium quality at best.

Does anyone know where I could go to get some really good and fresh food?

Whole Foods has become too "corporate" meaning they no longer really seem to care about the freshness of their food as much as they do their image of the "Fresh Food Store" - they were much better back in the days of "Ms Gooches".

Nature Mart just has way too small of a selection, but their bulk bin area in pretty nice.

Farmer's markets just never seem to fit into my schedule and don't always have that great of stuff either.

I'd be willing to travel outside the city limits as long as I know the food won't be rotten or anything within a few days.

Thanks for any help.

-Hungry in Los Angeles.

Welcome to DC, stevem. ;)

There used to be a Farmers Market right near you, around Fairfax. It's been awhile since I was there, but I brought home lots of fresh fruit and veggies. I don't know if it's still around. You could try a google for FM in L.A. County. There may be markets in Pasadena, Glendale, beach areas (Malibu, Venice, Oxnard), etc. that are open on the weekend, as I recall.

IMO, Ralph's is pretty good. Go to a big one in the SFV. Make friends with the produce, meat, fish mongers. They will tell you what just came in & perhaps delivery days/time.

Back when I visited Spago (off the Sunset Strip), the veggies were awesome! But, think I read Wolfie picks up fruit/veggies in Santa Barbara - not 100% sure. That's a long drive for a piece of fruit :LOL:

Are you storing your veggies properly, & how's the temp in your fridge? Keeping them in the veggie bin? Maybe start a little garden, if you have the space and grow a few of your own. Have you checked out the threads here in freezing/canning/ preserving?

We used to drive from the beach (malibu) through the canyons - and bought langostino/lobster tails from people selling right out of their truck/van - frozen - that were excellent.

Recently, in my neck of the woods, a fellow was pushing a cart selling cherries - but, I haven't bought from street vendors, so I can't say what the quality/freshness is compared to markets. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
stevem said:
Everything I buy usually goes bad within a few days to a week (for produce)

I don't understand the problem. I buy my produce right from the farm and it will normally go bad within a week. If it was picked ripe, it will spoil quickly, but that is why they taste so good, and why I buy direct. That is why I only buy enough for the meal I am preparing, or in the case of fresh fruits, enough for a couple of days. I pass by these stands every day, so I can always stop and get what I need when I need it.

Most fruits and vegetables that are going to grocery stores are picked green, and that's why they seem to last longer. That's also why they have no flavor to speak of.

There are an abundance of produce stands in Ventura County if you want to make the drive. Let me know and I can give you directions to a few of my favorites. You might also try the local independent produce stores, usually run by, and located in the neighborhoods of, either Latinos or Asians. They buy their produce ripe because their patrons usually shop daily, and again, it will spoil quickly, so only buy enough for two to three days and then go back for more.

Last edited:
Farm fresh produce is not going to have a long shelf life. That's the price you pay for using those products. They need to be consumed fairly quickly. As far as proximity to where you live, I would recommend the Hollywood Farmer's Market. Like anywhere else, every single produce available isn't always going to be in the absolute best shape. However, that's when you need to be versatile and look for similar ingredients that do look to be in fresher shape and use those products instead. The best day for the Farmer's Market is on Sunday. Make it a point to go to that one and you should have fresh fruits and veggies for most of the week. Know which products have the shortest lifespan and use those first and keep the other produce for the middle and ending of the week.

Whole Foods has beautiful produce and meats and seafood. If your food is going rotten within a few days you may need to check your refrigerator settings (humidity for greens) and the way you wrap and store your food.
I would have to assume that it is in WF's very best interests to maintain a fine store in such a high rent/income area.

New Information! The Pierce College Agricultural program has a farm market on campus, at the corner of Victory and DeSoto, in the valley fo the jolly San Fernando, every day from 10am to 6 pm.

Caine said:
New Information! The Pierce College Agricultural program has a farm market on campus, at the corner of Victory and DeSoto, in the valley fo the jolly San Fernando, every day from 10am to 6 pm.

:LOL: Ho, ho, ho. Thank you, Caine. Will have to check it out. (Heard they have fireworks there on July 4th, as well. Almost took a class there.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom