ISO saffron suggestions (rice?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm pretty sure it's not the same product. The one I used was MJB Quick Brown Rice. They've changed their products and IIRC they sell some sort of instant stuff. Not the same as what I used to use. My paella recipe was not cooked by the traditional method but rather is started on stove top and then covered and moved to the oven. Regular brown rice comes out under cooked. I've been meaning to rework my recipe but somehow just haven't got around to it. It's one of my recipes from 40 years back and I've been preoccupied with creating new recipes (mostly Asian cuisine) rather than going back over my past. I've seen paella cooked on TV and my recipe was nothing like that so it's definitely not authentic. Nor does it use saffron.

I suspect the MJB Quick Brown Rice must have been parboiled. I think they've taken that further in new products, for home cooks who have no patience. I'm sure everybody has seen the disgusting (to me) boil-in-bag package rice. I don't know where this is all headed unless they're softening us up for the introduction of food replicators.

I have used the Goya rice as well with good results. Don't think I've ever ordered it in a restaurant in the US, so that tells you how long it's been. When I go to restaurants I tend to stick to things I can't or don't like to make.

I think converted rice is an under-rated product. I wouldn't use it for risotto, but love it for cold salads, and times when I want the rice to really have separate grains. People mistake it for instant rice (aka, Minute Rice) which it is not. It actually takes as long, if not longer, than some regular white rice (don't think I've ever bought the brown)(although it is not as white as some white rice) to cook. I have a few food history books hanging around here, but it seems that par-boiling was started in attempt to keep nutrition in the rice kernels over longer storage/transportation times. Maybe WWI? Next time I go upstairs I'll look.

that is my sentiment exactly, and how i order when dining out.

I have had friends over the years who don't like to eat out. I love to. But, like you, I order based on things I can't get or don't want to cook at home. Complicated sauces, many Asian/Indian dishes. Steaks sometimes just taste better in a restaurant. Anything deep fried, since I hate doing that. I don't have an exhaust fan in my kitchen, so some broiled meats don't get done in the winter. So I eat out! I've made sushi a few times before (and, yes, even have the correct knife and bamboo mat, etc.) but, really, Michael does it better AND has better access to fresher seafood than I do (I think he drives to Chicago every day! Not gonna happen in my life, that's a 7 hour round trip, assuming O'Hare rather than Midway!).

Greg, look at the Costco product. It's labelled parboiled. I have to think that's the Uncle Ben's "quick" rice, since it will cook faster than plain brown rice.
Costco Business Delivery - Uncle Ben's Wholegrain Brown Rice 25 lbs
530210b.jpg

Thanks GLC. I'll have to think about it since 25 pounds of rice might last this retired single guy longer than his life expectancy...

This Paella recipe was one of my best TNT recipes and I hope one day to resurrect it. If I can't find a MJB Quick Brown Rice replacement then maybe I'll have to modify the technique to arrive at the perfect intersection of the dish being complete at the same time as the rice is the most tender and succulent.

I'll admit to buying Thai jasmine rice in 5# bags, but I eat a lot of white rice. I like Lundberg's Jubilee (brown/wild rice mix) for my ordinary brown rice but it would never work in my Paella recipe.

I can always invent a new Paella recipe. There's a million good ones.

BT at least I hope you aren't in charge of a nuclear plant.

I haven't had much experience with risotto. My one recent experience at a restaurant indicated that they didn't know how to cook it, since it was grainy and hard, much harder than rice.

I've been meaning to explore making risotto. I think I could probably make Andy's recipe particularly if I added some shrimp and vegetables. That would work, right?

I guess Arborio is short grain rice. I've always liked long grain better but I guess I better look for some Arborio.

Somebody please tell me if my recipe sounds workable regarding sauteing the shrimp, set aside, then follow Andy's recipe and add the shrimp mid way, maybe carrots sooner and peas later. Or would that be an abomination?

When risotto is cooked right, it is very creamy. And the nice think is when it is all cooked, you can add anything you wish to. :yum:

We have a Penzy's here in Massachusetts. Not to far from where I live. Great store. I love to go in there. It smells so good. :yum:

I was about to post this topic again until I remembered that I already posted it. I'm still at the same point, I have this saffron that I'd like to use but I haven't found a simple recipe that I could "trial" it out...

I bought the saffron in better times, when I had a complete kitchen. My cooking facilities are limited at present. I want to try this saffron before it gets stale, and I want to get a familiarity with its taste before then.

besides paella, saffron scalliops comes to mind. or saffron scrambled eggs.

How do you make your saffron scrambled eggs? I cook eggs almost every day. Can I serve that in a flour tortilla?

Can anybody give me a minimalist saffron rice recipe? Ideally the recipe would have saffron, rice, and as few additional ingredients as necessary. I have both brown rice (40 minute stuff) and white rice (traditional 20 minute stuff, and jasmine rice probably 17 minute stuff). I'd rather use the jasmine rice if there's a compatible saffron recipe what wouldn't exclude that.

Or maybe a saffron chicken recipe, perhaps one I can bake or braise?

Back
Top Bottom