ISO sauce to serve with duck breast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brred

Assistant Cook
Hello, everyone!

I am looking for a substitute for my cranberry sauce to serve with a duck. I've run out of my cranberry jam and there is no way i can get more atm. :( I've tried one of the varieties of orange sauce and didnt like it :-/

all the suggestions are highly appreciated :) thank you!

Orange sauce is traditional with duck, i.e. Duck a l'Orange. You can Google thousands of orange sauce version for duck, but they all are basically orange juice, chicken stock, orange marmalade and corn starch to thicken.

If you are roasting an entire duck, you could do the Scandinavian thing and stuff it with prunes and tart apples...don't prick the skin, and roast about 45 minutes/# at 325. Remove excess fat from roasting pan. Make a gravy with the drippings and giblets...if you can't get cranberries, I imagine you can't get lingonberry sauce/jelly either...

well, then why do the chinese have duck sauce? ;)

i had duck with a pomegranate chipotle sauce recently that was very good.

my sister loves saucy susan (an apricot sauce) with red pepper flakes added. sort of a thai style sweet chili sauce.

Blackberry jam and Cabernet reduction that includes the pan drippings. I use it with lamb tenderloin but it would kill with duck too.

Last edited:
I'd buy some marsala, sweet vermouth, sherry ... something similar, a fortified dark wine. Sautee sliced mushrooms and finely chopped onions or, better yet, a couple of shallots in some of the duck fat, then pour the rest of the fat out and add the less fatty drippings to the pan. Deglaze with the wine.

I really am not fond of the sweet fruity sauces, but you could use a cherry jam instead of the cranberrry, then maybe a squeeze of lemon if it isn't as tart as you're used to with the cranberry.

Why, thank you. I don't know why, but the predominance of fruit in game, duck, and pork recipes has never been my favorite. But, to be fair, all of those were much stronger in flavor than they are now.

I'd buy some marsala, sweet vermouth, sherry ... something similar, a fortified dark wine. Sautee sliced mushrooms and finely chopped onions or, better yet, a couple of shallots in some of the duck fat, then pour the rest of the fat out and add the less fatty drippings to the pan. Deglaze with the wine.

I really am not fond of the sweet fruity sauces, but you could use a cherry jam instead of the cranberrry, then maybe a squeeze of lemon if it isn't as tart as you're used to with the cranberry.

I also am not fond of fruity sauces on duck. This sounds really good. Thanks for posting.

Thank you for the advices :) Cherries and pomegranates sound thrilling. getting both on Monday!

ThanksThanksThanks

And, mushroom/shallots sauce i could do right now :) Got all the ingredients. I myself, used cranberries because they are sour and contrasted with sweet apples that I used to serve with duck. I was already thinking of changing apples for some baked parsley/celery/carrots, while serving with sweet substitute sauce.

Ill try champignon/shallots. Thank you, Claire.

I like making a fresh black plum sauce spiced with cloves, cinnamon and pimento to go with duck. I just cut thin slices of plum and add a little dash of orange juice or sherry. Add the spices whole and simmer for a few mins. Remove the spices and serve spooned over medium cooked duck breast with crisp skin.

Here is one that I have made several times

3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup triple sec
1/4 slow gin
bring to a boil and then let set and it will thicken
serve along with duck

Back
Top Bottom