ISO Sesame Noodles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Littlechef

Senior Cook
I don't remember who posted a recipe for sesame noodles. I remember it got great reviews. I've used the search funtion with no luck ... can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Sesame Noodles

1 Lb Chinese Noodles

½ C Soy Sauce
½ C Sesame Oil
¼ C Rice Wine Vinegar
¼ C Sugar
2 TB Chili Oil
2 Tb Toasted Sesame Seeds
3-4 Ea Scallions, finely chopped

8-9 Oz Chinese Noodles
¼ C Soy Sauce
¼ C Sesame Oil
2 Tb Rice Wine Vinegar
2 Tb Sugar
1 Tb Chili Oil
1 Tb Toasted Sesame Seeds
2 Ea Scallions, finely chopped

Cook the noodles according to package directions.

While the water is coming to a boil, combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, sugar and chili oil in a medium bowl. Whisk together and set aside.

When the noodles are cooked to your liking, drain the noodles in a colander, but do NOT rinse. Shake out excess water completely.

Transfer noodles to a low flat pan or tray*. Pour sauce mixture over hot noodles. Toss to coat evenly and continue to toss about every 5 minutes, until completely cool and all the sauce is absorbed by the noodles.

Transfer to a platter or bowl. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions.

Serve at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate to serve cold.

*Note: tossing the noodles in a low wide dish will allow the noodles to absorb all the sauce much faster and easier.

The hot chili oil gives this dish a "subtle zippiness." For spicier palates, offer Srirachi Hot Chili Sauce on the side.

Thank you, Andy! These look great and I remember it got good reviews. I like that it doesn't have PB as an ingredient, many do and DH doesn't like PB.

I have TONS of spaghetti noodles. They were out of date and were going to be thrown away so DH snagged them and brought them home. You know those big tins of popcorn that sell during the holidays? They filled one of those plus some extra. I'm looking for other ways to serve them. Can they be used in this recipe or is there something about the lo mien noodles that make them best for this recipe.

I have TONS of spaghetti noodles. They were out of date and were going to be thrown away so DH snagged them and brought them home. You know those big tins of popcorn that sell during the holidays? They filled one of those plus some extra. I'm looking for other ways to serve them. Can they be used in this recipe or is there something about the lo mien noodles that make them best for this recipe.

You can use any shape of pasta and it will taste great.

Thank you, Andy! These look great and I remember it got good reviews. I like that it doesn't have PB as an ingredient, many do and DH doesn't like PB.

Do you mean peanut butter? Some Asian recipes call for PB as a sub for sesame paste. However, this one is all oil. You can buy sesame paste in Asian markets so you don't have to sub PB.

P.S. I omit the sesame seeds as SO finds them annoying.

I am gonna make these, they look awesome. I am out of sesame oil, so I need to get some, I keep forgetting, even though I drive past the Asian market every day...

Do you mean peanut butter? Some Asian recipes call for PB as a sub for sesame paste. However, this one is all oil. You can buy sesame paste in Asian markets so you don't have to sub PB.

P.S. I omit the sesame seeds as SO finds them annoying.

Sorry, yes I've seen some recipes that have peanut butter as one of the ingredients. I love peanut butter, but DH would not be happy. I think this version he would love. I googled The Dragon Lady blog and quickly browsed throught it ... there are several recipes that I'd like to try.

BTW, I would omit the sesame seeds too, as my son, who has a mouth full of braces, would not appreciate them ... lol.

The sesame seed noodles were a regular dish at our table this past summer. I was addicted to them! They were good warm, cold, room temp. They kept well for a day or so. I used chinese lo mein noodles to make them. I also used Barilla whole grain pasta and thin spaghetti. All were wonderful.

Now I want sesame seed noodles. :chef:
~Kathleen

I know, I know... I'm bringing a thread back from the dead... it was the first thread that came up when searching sesame noodles.

Could banh pho noodles be used for making sesame noodles?

I bought some at the Asian store a few weeks ago, when I was picking up some stuff for those Korean tacos. It was an impulse buy because I liked the way they looked compared to the other noodles. I probably had making sesame noodles in the back of my mind when I bought them, but after I Googled them it seems every use has them in soups.
Is anyone here familiar with these noodles? Would they work in dishes besides soups, or is it a texture thing?

Pacanis, if those noodles are like the ones I use in my Vietnamese summer rolls, I think they will be a bit too fragile. The sesame noodles generally soak up a lot of the liquid. I am definitely not an expert but thought I would give my two cents.

If not the sesame noodles, make the summer rolls! Yummy.

They look fragile. Thanks for the tip Kathleen.
That'll teach me to buy on impulse in the Asian store, lol.

I got a shopping bag of every different noodle from an Asian store for my birthday last month, I'm still going through them to try them out. And I'm saving the wrappers so I know what to pick up/have picked up when I'm done sampling.

My boss is cool! She knows what I like!:yum:

I got a shopping bag of every different noodle from an Asian store for my birthday last month, I'm still going through them to try them out. And I'm saving the wrappers so I know what to pick up/have picked up when I'm done sampling.

My boss is cool! She knows what I like!:yum:

Pick up some rice wrappers and make some summer rolls, pacanis! I make a dipping sauce with a bit of soy sauce, some sugar, and a bit of plum sauce and chopped peanuts. Cook your noodles and toss them with a bit of Mirin. put a scoop of noodles on the wrapper (which is paper thin), and top with some steamed shrimp, cilantro, and a bit of paper-thin cucumber or carrot...or both. So yummy and so good on a hot summer day. You will be buying those noodles again! :yum:

PF, you should always work for that lady. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom