ISO Star-shaped pizza ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
At my almost-4-year-old daughter's request, my girls' birthday party this year will be star themed. I have most of the food planned out, but just had an idea. I was planning on making a build-your-own sandwich platter with everything cut into stars, but then I saw where someone baked mini pizzas in star-shaped pans and thought they would love star shaped pizzas much more. They both adore pizza in any form, but a star shaped pizza, even better!

I don't have a star-shaped pan and don't really want to buy one, so I'm looking for ideas for a crust I can make myself that once cut out (with a star cookie cutter) and par-baked, will still a least resemble a star. They don't have to be perfect, just recognizable so I'm thinking my favored yeasty rising pizza crust won't work very well. I'd like to make the crusts, par bake and top them the day before so the day of, I can throw a bunch in the oven at once. I'd like them to be fairly small, 2-3 inches at most.

In summary, I need something that will work as a yummy base for pizza toppings that I can make myself and won't deform a ton as it bakes. Any ideas?

If you truly believe your favored pizza dough will not do, I have seen pre-made pizza crusts in our local grocery. They come sealed in a plastic package. I believe there are 2 crusts in a package. The brand is Boboli. You could pick up a couple and use your star shaped cookie cutter on those, or cut the star shapes with a knife.

Could you use crescent rolls? They come in triangle shapes already and you could build your star shape by putting the big ends together and baking them. Then add your toppings and reheat. They might be too soft for pizza but something to experiment with. Or use your regular dough recipe, roll it out and use your pizza cutter to cut similar triangles and build a star shape.

Last edited:
How about using soft taco shells trimmed to look like stars.

This link uses flat bread.

Cooper & Chloe: Toddler Cheese Pizza

I would also think about making a traditional pizza and picking up the star theme by using large slices of sandwich pepperoni and slices of provolone cut using a star cutter and placed on the pizza. Small ones could be made using English muffins and topped with the star shaped pepperoni or cheese.

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas. I'm looking for something I can make myself because I want to be able to wad up the trimmings, roll them out, and make more or make something else. I'm not a big fan of wasting things and as much as I'd like to think I'd get around to using a bunch or flat bread or tortilla trimmings, I probably won't, especially not right after their party.
Jabbur, I think the crescent roll idea sounds delicious, but maybe I'll save it for when I'm just feeding us and not 20 other people. :)

Hoot, you don't sound convinced that traditional pizza dough won't work. Do you think it might hold its shape? Also, I was worried that it would rise too much when I par bake it without any topping to weigh it down. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the ideas. I'm looking for something I can make myself because I want to be able to wad up the trimmings, roll them out, and make more or make something else. I'm not a big fan of wasting things and as much as I'd like to think I'd get around to using a bunch or flat bread or tortilla trimmings, I probably won't, especially not right after their party.
Jabbur, I think the crescent roll idea sounds delicious, but maybe I'll save it for when I'm just feeding us and not 20 other people. :)

Hoot, you don't sound convinced that traditional pizza dough won't work. Do you think it might hold its shape? Also, I was worried that it would rise too much when I par bake it without any topping to weigh it down. Any thoughts?

I think you should bake the crust completely in advance, then cut the star shapes, top them, and bake just to warm and melt the cheese. I don't think they will keep their shape after rising.

Here's an easy method to avoid waste: Take the trimmings and buzz them in the food processor till they're fine crumbs. Put this in a plastic bag, put it in the freezer and use them as the breadcrumb element the next time you make meatballs or meatloaf or breaded and fried or pan-fried meat. Hope this helps.

I think you should bake the crust completely in advance, then cut the star shapes, top them, and bake just to warm and melt the cheese. I don't think they will keep their shape after rising.

Here's an easy method to avoid waste: Take the trimmings and buzz them in the food processor till they're fine crumbs. Put this in a plastic bag, put it in the freezer and use them as the breadcrumb element the next time you make meatballs or meatloaf or breaded and fried or pan-fried meat. Hope this helps.
This^

If you bake the crust without toppings, use a fork to poke it before baking, it will help the yeast release and not raise the dough a lot.

My first inclinations are to go with a boboli crust ( I have never eaten, but they look nice at the grocers), an english muffin or split pita breads. All have some drawbacks.

Then, I thought, Really. Use a regular favorite Pizza Crust. Roll it out thin, cut in star shapes. Pre bake the stars a little? If making pizza on a grill, the crust is par-baked before adding toppers. So this is known to work. Add sauce and toppings and back in the oven to finish before serving. Can then serve hot. Stars are not majically perfect. Every kid knows this, some are bigger and littler. They have other ways making comparisons. For the big kids at the party, a few blister points are the most tastiest parts. Maybe even bend up a few points to accentuate a 3 D effect. Feed the best looking ones to the birthday girl, and puffier ones if any, to adults. I don't know how they do this-- a neighborhood pizza has a thin crust pizza, no edge and a coupon delivery does puffy sides even on their so-called thin crust. It Is apparentally do-able. Make a few crescent moons with assorted toppings too.

Regular size pizza out of the oven and cut into star shapes for serving is no fun. I can't Begin to tell you how many times and how many ways we drove around town looking for that something special when the kids were little, to please them and make us feel pleased we made them happy too.

Our son is now in his 30's. I'd do and still do what makes him happy. Regrettably, I doubt star shape pizza is so easy. But I've never tried that. It might work given the right moment. Because it's new. Not that anything costs more, just harder to be creative.

One never grows too old to be a parent or a gift giver with the ones we love.

Instead of trying to make the dough look like a star, make the topping look like a star. Use a star shaped cookie cutter to cut stars out of pepperoni, eggplant ,salami, etc.

Thank you for all the suggestions! I think I'll make pizza this week and save a little dough for texting out after the kids are in bed. I'll be sure to post pictures of whatever I end up using for the party!

Don't envy you today. I remember having to make and design a Spider Man cake. Couldn't find a cake mold. Did it all freehand.

Since your going to already have your hands full with kids. Is pre made ahead, frozen out of the question?

A simple bread dough recipe would work for the dough. Rolled out. Cut into stars as suggested already. Take the dough and place it on the back side of a muffin pan. Bake for a few minutes. You could even crimp the sides yourself. When they're cooled fill and freeze them. If one doesn't turn out tell the kids your lucky. You got the shooting star.

All you'll have to do is bake and serve.:angel:

If you pre-bake a round crust and cut out one large star you could use the trimmings to fashion a Ninjas star! Be sure to dock the dough to minimise the rise.

Back
Top Bottom