ISO Tart Cherry Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I make cherry wine every couple years and have a good source of juice from Door County, Wisconsin that I use. I probably wouldn't use cherries from my own tree because it takes so many cherries to get even a gallon of juice, and I like make 3 to 5 gallons at a time.

Cherry wine is awesome. Next to grape, it's my favorite fruit wine. :)
I have a new cookbook--it has a sparkling sour cherry wine recipe...just saying.

Oh, I have zero worries! I just want to be sure that I get it right! Mmmm! Thank you, MC!

Am thinking you could make cherry cordial, using MC's recipe subbing vodka for the brandy, along with the poking. It sounds very similar to the wild raspberry cordial I've made using vodka. Thankfully I didn't have to poke the raspberries.

If/when I get enough cherries on sale, I would definitely like to try this!

Last edited:
Now I'm dying for some cherry cordial or other cherry liqueur. I just love cherries. They're not common in my part of Virginia; the weather is too warm for many fruits.

Steve, why don't you prune the tree? Come fall or next spring chop the top of. No nerd for extra height if you cannot get there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

We're picking tonight. I think the consensus is that we'll can a batch of cherry preserves, and make cherry liqueur (I found a recipe that calls for vodka and brandy). Anything left will be frozen to eventually go into baked goods.

On kind of a down side, I checked the tree this morning and the darn birds have apparently figured out a way to get at the fruit where the netting meets the tree. There are 1/2" openings in the mesh, so I suspect they are getting their little beaks through and picking at the pretty red cherries. Grrr.

Anyway, still lots left. I'll post photos as I have them.

Are they morello cherries? I'll assume they are.
The one I have is a dwarf Montmorency. Montmorency is an offshoot of the Amarelle variety, and is the most popular tart cherry in the US. If you ever have a cherry pie over here, odds are it's made from this variety.

What never fails to catch me by surprise is how awful they taste right off the tree. The sourness will make you pucker up like a lovestruck school girl. But add a little sugar, and the flavor changes entirely.

The one I have is a dwarf Montmorency. Montmorency is an offshoot of the Amarelle variety, and is the most popular tart cherry in the US. If you ever have a cherry pie over here, odds are it's made from this variety.

What never fails to catch me by surprise is how awful they taste right off the tree. The sourness will make you pucker up like a lovestruck school girl. But add a little sugar, and the flavor changes entirely.
Ah - Canard Montmorency! We don't see Montmorency cherries over here much, unless you know someone with a tree so we have to make do with morellos.

I'd love a cherry tree but there isn't room for it in my garden. I'd have to dig a lot up first.

Am thinking you could make cherry cordial, using MC's recipe subbing vodka for the brandy, along with the poking. It sounds very similar to the wild raspberry cordial I've made using vodka. Thankfully I didn't have to poke the raspberries.

If/when I get enough cherries on sale, I would definitely like to try this!
Oh, yes, vodka would be fine. I've made a pear liqueur using vodka.

Boozer? Wot, moi?

English cherries have been wonderful this year due, I think, to the weather. It's only a short season though and so many trees were grubbed up in the 2nd half of the last century that supply can't keep up with demand, although cherry orchards are being replanted.

And cherries are very good for you, too - English Cherry | 100% fresh English cherries from our farm in Aspley Guise

Oh, yes, vodka would be fine. I've made a pear liqueur using vodka.

Boozer? Wot, moi?

English cherries have been wonderful this year due, I think, to the weather. It's only a short season though and so many trees were grubbed up in the 2nd half of the last century that supply can't keep up with demand, although cherry orchards are being replanted.

And cherries are very good for you, too - English Cherry | 100% fresh English cherries from our farm in Aspley Guise

Oooh, pear liqueur! :yum:

The wonderful state of Michigan is famous for its cherries here, and they sell all sorts of cherry concentrates and elixers as well. I'll have to check the stores for cherries, as I really have a hankerin' for them now!

Well, we ended up picking right around 16 lbs of cherries. I put half in the freezer and used the other half to make cherry preserves and liqueur. :yum:

I was up until 2:00 am pitting cherries and canning. So I'm a little tired and wobbly today. I had a long boring meeting at work this afternoon and it was all I could do to stay awake. :wacko:

img_1375375_0_39083a7873240b386c4e34fb4e47bf6b.jpg

I made a cherry pie from scratch, picking the cherries from a freind's tree. The basic recipe is like this one - Cherry Pie Recipe : Food Network
I didn't add almond extract to my pie as so many recipes call for. but I did add a half tsp. of cinnamon to the filling.

My other trick was to add 1/8 cup of sugar, and 1 tsp. cinnamon to the flour used to make the crust. And, I made a lattice crust on top, brushed with milk, and sprinkled with coarse sugar. It was a great pie.

The great thing with cherry pie is that you can play with it. Try melting cark chocolate in a double boiler, and then drizzling it over the top when the pie is cooled. Chocolate and cherries go so great together.

You have been given some great ideas in this thread. I hope that whatever you make comes out spectacular.

Chief Longwind of the North
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cherry-pie-recipe.html

I made a cherry pie from scratch, picking the cherries from a freind's tree. The basic recipe is like this one - Cherry Pie Recipe : Food Network
I didn't add almond extract to my pie as so many recipes call for. but I did add a half tsp. of cinnamon to the filling.

My other trick was to add 1/8 cup of sugar, and 1 tsp. cinnamon to the flour used to make the crust. And, I made a lattice crust on top, brushed with milk, and sprinkled with coarse sugar. It was a great pie.
Cherry is my favorite pie, so I always make a couple of those. That's probably what I'll do with some of the 8 lbs I froze.

These were last year's pies:

img_1375443_0_b65ff4f793c6f4c17b727f5af2c30d87.jpg

Cherry is my favorite pie, so I always make a couple of those. That's probably what I'll do with some of the 8 lbs I froze.

These were last year's pies:

img_1375457_0_b65ff4f793c6f4c17b727f5af2c30d87.jpg

You got my mailing address right? Those look so good. We really need to get those transporter machines from science fiction, to science fact. You have one at your house, I'll have one at mine. I'll smoke a turkey on the Webber, you make cherry pie. Or would you rather have the pork crown roast? Main course at my house, desert at yours.

Sounds good to me.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom