ISO tips/ideas on infusing oil.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

10ett

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has some good methods and ingredients for infusing oil. Any tips or recipe ideas would be great.

Thanks

I've used a technique similar to the one linked above, but not for cooking. I've used rhus arnica (wild arnica root), bundled in a cheesecloth bag and submerged in a quart or so of sweet almond oil for 2-3 weeks for massage oil. Great for sore, aching or bruised muscles, and far cheaper than purchased arnicated oil. I also buy my oils in bulk, 5 lbs. (about a gallon) at a time, from Liberty Natural Products, except for raw, organic coconut oil. Get that from Mountain Rose Herbs. Both online.

Blend some fresh chive with vegetable oil in a blender. Sieve and store in the fridge. Now you have chive oil.

You can use fresh basil, tarragon, chive, rosemary, cilantro, etc. Blanch in boiling water and shock in an ice bath to bring out bright green color. Blend with olive or grapeseed oil in blender, add salt and pepper, you can add fresh leaf spinach for a more vivid green color.

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has some good methods and ingredients for infusing oil. Any tips or recipe ideas would be great.

Thanks

It's not safe to make your own infused oil at home, unless you do it in small amounts that will be used within a few days. Putting herbs, etc., in a bottle of oil creates the perfect environment for growing salmonella. See this thread for more information: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f94/making-garlic-oil-34956.html

HTH.

Back
Top Bottom