ISO TNT Homemade Sauerkraut recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
I am looking for a recipe I can trust from DC members first.

I will do a google search also but I trust fellow DC members.

Thank you in advance.

A friend of mine is a chef and swears by this formula. I will get around to trying it one of these days

"for green or red cabbage sauerkraut all you need is 2% of the cabbage's weight in salt, knead, press into container and keep under liquid until fermented, then refrigerate."

This is for thinly sliced cabbage.

I am looking for a recipe I can trust from DC members first...

Search for posts from Steve Kroll. He has posted his method several times when this question has been asked in the past.

I think there's a sub-forum for pickling? I'm on my phone right now and can't search like I can on my laptop.

Search for posts from Steve Kroll. He has posted his method several times when this question has been asked in the past.

I think there's a sub-forum for pickling? I'm on my phone right now and can't search like I can on my laptop.
I tired a search but couldn't find any recipes from Steve Kroll for sauerkraut. :(

Good find Taxi! I remember Steve Kroll making this post and I really miss him. He really knew his stuff on many levels and if I wanted to make it I'd follow his directions exactly.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-homemade-sauerkraut-in-a-mason-jar-193124

Ive used this method a half dozen times over the years and has been pretty predictable.

Basic recipe is shred cabbage
Sprinkle 1 -1 tbs of salt on the cabbage in a large bowl, mix and let sit
After awhile, the cabbage wilts, and liquid forms at the bottom
Place cabbage and liquid in jar.
The recipe makes it seem like there will be enough liquid to cover the cabbage, but there never is.

The cabbage absolutely must be covered with liquid throughout the whole process , so they suggest if there is not enough water, mix 1 tsp of salt with one cup of water, mix and add to cabbage until it is covered .

I usually make a few cups of this 1:1 salt/ water solution, cause as I taste the sauerkraut through the process, the water level shrinks, so I just add a little more salt water to cover everything up.

Usually takes about 3 days to notice the fermentation process, but about 5 - 7 before it tastes like sauerkraut.

Definitely ferments quicker in warmer temps than cooler ones.

Basically leave on counter until you're happy with the result, then fridge or sometimes , I take a bunch, squeeze the liquid out, toss it in a ziplock and freeze ( My local pickle store lady told me that sauerkraut could be frozen, and sure enough it worked ).

I didn't so the caraway seeds, just cabbage, water , salt.

I've made this small-batch sauerkraut several times. In fact, have some in fridge that's several months old. Guess I should use it or check on it.

What I do differently, is use one of the well-washed outer leaves cut/folded to fit the top and use a plastic bag full of additional brine to weight it down. I usually let it go for +/- 7 days to get to a point that Craig likes it, but I will still eat it also. I do put the caraway seeds in, though I crack them and don't use as much as the recipe.

Oh, last time I made it, my hands were really hurting from arthritis and working the salt into the cabbage was killing me. Bright idea, I used the head of the large metal meat mallet to work it in. Worked like a charm!

I also picked up a 2 quart apothecary jar from Hobby Lobby with the seal and locking ring. You can lock it down after the initial fermentation is done and you put it in the fridge, DEFINITELY not before.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom