ISO uses for Oyster Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I'm still working on rounding out my kitchen staples and just bought some oyster sauce and am looking for places to use it. How do you use oyster sauce?

I use it in lo mein and tonight I'll be using it in fried rice.

It's a staple in a lot of Chinese dishes you might see in a restaurant. It adds a nice flavor to a lot of stir-frys.

Bolas, is Pak Choi that the same as Bok choy? I love it...so crisp, mild flavor, and a nice combo of healthy dark green leaves and white crunchy goodness.

I mostly use it for sauce when stir frying. Here is my sauce recipe for Mongolian Beef

1/4 cup chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
1 Tablespoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon raw sugar

For chicken I would use regular soy sauce. If you have Hosin sauce you can add some of that and cut back on the sugar.

I make a beef and smoked oyster dish that I serve on wilted lettuce...I add some oyster sauce to the filling as it simmers...kind of a chinese-style taco.

I'm still working on rounding out my kitchen staples and just bought some oyster sauce and am looking for places to use it. How do you use oyster sauce?

Me too! :LOL:

I tried it with baby bok choy. I left the sugar out of the recipe and still found it a bit sweet.

I bought some as a dipping sauce for some of my Bento, when I get back to cooking.

I make a beef and smoked oyster dish that I serve on wilted lettuce...I add some oyster sauce to the filling as it simmers...kind of a chinese-style taco.

That sounds good. Do you have a recipe for us? Please?:chef:

Me too! :LOL:

I tried it with baby bok choy. I left the sugar out of the recipe and still found it a bit sweet.

Thanks, TL. I was thinking of using up some of that huge bag of bok choy with it.

I didn't think about non-uses until long after my OP, but this is also what I want to know - what it isn't good with.

I know, I know, I should have tried to multi quote, but hadn't read all the posts first.

PPO, I love the sound of your Mongolian Beef recipe, I copied and printed it out.

Just one question: Does the Mongoliam Beef taste anything like Korean BBQ?

I've been trying with no success to duplicate that flavor.

Beef with Smoked Oysters

That sounds good. Do you have a recipe for us? Please?:chef:
I didn't think I did because I've been making it for so long, but I did include it in the collection of recipes I put together for my best friend when she got married. (I was in university and I was strapped for cash...if you're short of cash, a collection of your favorite recipes is not an unwelcomed shower gift.) And, I find it handy to look things up because it has all my favorite recipes from when I was growing up, from my grandma, friends, and recipes I collected on my travels. All in one cerloxed binder.

Beef with Smoked Oysters

1-2 T soy sauce
1 T pale dry sherry or rice wine
1 tsp cornstarch
2 T vegetable oil
1/2 lb lean beef (strips or you can use ground or any other cut you'd use for a beef stir fry or Chinese fondue)
1-3.25 oz can of smoked oysters
1 T oyster sauce
1 T mushroom broth (or chicken broth)
1 T grated fresh ginger root
1/2 c frozen peas (or edamene -- the green soy beans that look like peas)
12 lettuce leaves (Bib or Boston works best--if you use iceberg you'll have to wilt them)

Combine the soy sauce, sherry, and cornstarch in a bowl, stir until the cornstarch dissolves.

Brown the beef with the grated ginger in a wok. Add the peas, oysters (with the liquid). Stir fry for about a minute (until the beef isn't pink). Add the oyster sauce and soy sauce mix. Cook, stirring constantly until all ingredients are well coated.

Clean the leaves, cut into 5-inch rounds (or not). Wrap 1 T of mixture in the lettuce leaf like you would an egg roll or soft taco. Eat with your fingers. You can also serve it over rice. It serves 2 in our house.

Last edited:
Thanks, TL. I was thinking of using up some of that huge bag of bok choy with it.

I didn't think about non-uses until long after my OP, but this is also what I want to know - what it isn't good with.

Oh, it's probably good with bok choy. Loads of recipes on the 'net for bok choy with oyster sauce. I'm very picky about not having sweet with my savoury. I'm just afraid the oyster sauce might be too sweet for my taste, or maybe I have to use it more sparingly.

Oh, it's probably good with bok choy. Loads of recipes on the 'net for bok choy with oyster sauce. I'm very picky about not having sweet with my savoury. I'm just afraid the oyster sauce might be too sweet for my taste, or maybe I have to use it more sparingly.

I did use it today in my chicken ala king and didn't notice any sweetness, but only used maybe 2 tsp. It added a nice flavor.

I'd definitely try it with that stir fry.

Last edited:
Bolas, is Pak Choi that the same as Bok choy? I love it...so crisp, mild flavor, and a nice combo of healthy dark green leaves and white crunchy goodness.
Molly its closely related, you can steam it and blob on some oyster sauce, I grew pak choi last year the results were good but for the slugs:(

Back
Top Bottom