ISO what to do with gin...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So maybe add it in place of vinegar when making marinated cucumber salad for the XMas smorgasbord...or infuse some first with cuke and dill and use it once infused for the marinade...hmmm...now that might be good...

To whom should I give it--no one I know drinks gin...except, I guess, this friend who is moving...I'm leaning toward a fruit-salad...not this weekend, but sometime...I just don't like gin...had one bad experience and that put me off gin for LIFE.

I hear you. It took me 25 years to try vodka again.

I'm a gin lover but think a gin fruit salad sounds unappetizing. But WTH? Might as well try it. .... Or send the bottle to me!

So maybe add it in place of vinegar when making marinated cucumber salad for the XMas smorgasbord...or infuse some first with cuke and dill and use it once infused for the marinade...hmmm...now that might be good...

You would still need an acid.

Cukes and dill with cukes might work.

But it also might put Aunt Edna into a coma. Hahahaha

The standard is vinegar-sugar-LOTS of fresh dill-S&P, so I am thinking the infused gin, sugar, (or maybe maple syrup this year...) lime juice, S&P might be nice...this is the "Scandinavian" style marinated cucumber salad...

I'm s Svenska Flicka myself!

Although I know you hate it, taste it. The lime and gin will alter the flavor. You might be better off with vinegar instead of lime.

jennyema said:
I hear you. It took me 25 years to try vodka again.

I'm a gin lover but think a gin fruit salad sounds unappetizing. But WTH? Might as well try it. .... Or send the bottle to me!

Same here, Jenny! One bad experience...

I would give it another try as a drink, CWS! Adult palates are different than college experimentation. Am thinking a Pink Lady, from my old bartending days, might be another way to drink it. And it includes an egg!

I just think gin would not lend itself to anything food related. IMHO.

Last edited:
I seldomly disagree with you, but as a fan of both gin and tequila I will assure you they can't be subbed. There are lots if tequila/lime recipes out there, often with tomatoes. Gin tastes so totally different that it won't work.

Infuse the gun with cucumbers or cukes and mint and give it away as a gift.

Live and learn. Thanks for the correction. I guess I figured since they were both clear...

I agree with others who are saying "give it another try" Bombay Sapphire is a really good gin. Do you like grapefruit juice? Gin and grapefruit juice in a glass rimmed with salt is a Salty Dog. Admittedly, more of a summer drink, but good none the less.

Next time you make cocktail sauce, spike it with the Gin. It wakes it up like you wouldn't believe. Same with decent Whiskey. . .make for the BEST cocktail sauce.

I'm s Svenska Flicka myself!

Although I know you hate it, taste it. The lime and gin will alter the flavor. You might be better off with vinegar instead of lime.

I can't get to the taste stage of gin--just the smell of it makes me gag...but I have a very sensitve sense of smell. If I didn't know better, I'd say my liver is out-of-whack. Beer-breath (on the DH after one beer) also makes me gag...I really don't handle the smell of alcohol well. I got a bottle of Apperitif <sp> as well. What to do with that...FWIW, until vodka goes in the freezer and the bottle is "glazed" with ice, vodka smells as well. It is not odorless or tasteless, IMO.

Last edited:
I can't get to the taste stage of gin--just the smell of it makes me gag...but I have a very sensitve sense of smell. If I didn't know better, I'd say my liver is out-of-whack. Beer-breath (on the DH after one beer) also makes me gag...I really don't handle the smell of alcohol well. I got a bottle of Apperitif <sp> as well. What to do with that...

What kind of aperitif? Some of them make for wonderful night-caps.

gin is juniper flavoured. well, more sort of an extract or tincture; i forget which process is which.

it might be substituted or added in recipes that contain juniper.

look up scandinavian fish or game recipes, i'd think.

I so don't drink gin...however, a friend who is moving emptied her liquor cabinet and gave me all the bottles, including a partial bottle of gin. I so don't drink gin, nor do I know anyone who drinks gin...I am thinking I could use this in a marinade for something (maybe add juniper berries)...but what? Inspiration?
Venison marinade.

Well--since the gin isn't going anywhere soon, I could wait until February to use it. I plan on bringing some of the venison back that's in my parents' freezer (unless we let the neighbour hunt and he agrees to sharing the first deer with us and doesn't think that means a package of sausage). I use juniper berries in a sauerkraut-pork recipe I make that I got from my roommate at university. She was from Rouen, France...Thanks everyone! I think I'll FB message my friends in Sweden and ask if they have any recipes re: fish and gin...

Best I can recall, Bombay gin is flavored with such a variety of herbs that the juniper berry flavor / aroma is highly masked. The US produced Gordon's has a fairly distinctive juniper berry flavor as does the British produced Boodles. While it's certainly a matter of taste, I was quite disappointed with the British produced Gordon's I purchased a few decades ago vs. the US produced version.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom