ISO yellow cake that won't fall apart...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mech3d

Assistant Cook
Hi All,

I want to make a small yellow cakes with the consistency of a Twinkie or SuzyQ so that it can be eaten without any utensils.

If I used a standard cake mix from the store, the cake is crumbly which is not a bad thing but not what I am looking for.

Is there an ingredient added to the mix which sort of holds it all together?

Or is it a matter of having appropriate portions of the ingredients of a recipe?

I have no specific recipe in mind though.

Thanks,
Joe C.

Hi All,

I want to make a small yellow cakes with the consistency of a Twinkie or SuzyQ so that it can be eaten without any utensils.

If I used a standard cake mix from the store, the cake is crumbly which is not a bad thing but not what I am looking for.

Is there an ingredient added to the mix which sort of holds it all together?

Or is it a matter of having appropriate portions of the ingredients of a recipe?

I have no specific recipe in mind though.

Thanks,
Joe C.
Being from over here I'm not acquainted with Twinkies or SuzyQs but what about this recipe for yellow cake?

Basic Yellow Cake

It looks like recipes I've used for a basic "plain" cake (as we'd call it). I don't see why it wouldn't hold together. There will be some crumbs as there would be with any cake but it shouldn't be crumbly as such unless it's over baked. For small cakes use paper cases or bun tins and cook for a much shorter time. I can't advise you on oven temps as I think your ovens behave differently to yours - have a look in a cookery book for small cakes made from a similar recipe.

Don't compare bought cake or packet mixes to proper (ie home made) cake. :yum:

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever had a Suzy Q, but I'm familiar with Twinkies and they are more of a sponge cake type cake. You might want to investigate recipes for sponge cake or compare ingredients/method between sponge cake and what you've tried.

I'm thinking a pond cake, but with the egg whites beaten to form stiff peaks, then added to the batter, kind of like a cross between a sponge cake, and a pound cake, though the pound cake by itself would work well enough, but be a little heavy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm thinking a pond cake, but with the egg whites beaten to form stiff peaks, then added to the batter, kind of like a cross between a sponge cake, and a pound cake, though the pound cake by itself would work well enough, but be a little heavy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

That's pretty much what Kayelle's link says :) You sure do know your stuff.

I don't think I've ever had a Suzy Q, but I'm familiar with Twinkies and they are more of a sponge cake type cake. You might want to investigate recipes for sponge cake or compare ingredients/method between sponge cake and what you've tried.

Yup proper sponge is what is needed here. The less fat in the recipe the sturdier that it will be. Think like an angel food cake, those are quite sturdy because they have no fat, so as fat is added it gets more tender.

Good Day fellow bakers,

Back to the original topic, I was thinking to bake small loafs (about 4" x 2 1/2", individal serving sizes) without the use of baking pans. The way Drakes does it with their Devel Dogs is to deposit strips of batter on the baking pans, bake them and then assemble the delights.

So the batter would have to be thick enough to hold its shape before and during baking without going flat like a cookie.

So that is my goal this weekend to experiment with this technique, pan-less baking.

What do you think? Will Kayelle's link work? Any advice is welcomed with much appreciation.

Joe C.

I don't know about Devil Dogs but pretty sure Twinkies are baked in a mold. On 1 of the cooking contest shows they had to reproduce a Twinkie. One of the judges was a rep from the Twinkie company and talked about how they were made. The contestant that won rigged up a mold using foil if i remember correctly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom