ISO Your Best General Purpose Seasoned Coating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I know there are some great cooks on this forum. So here's what I'm looking for, variations.

I know the general herbs, spices, and flavorings that I use, and am very happy with the results of my own seasoned flour mixtures. But I also know that there must be another hundred thousand variations that I haven't tried. So I'm looking for you best, and I'm talking absolutely favorite seasoned flour/coating mixture for fish, poultry, beef, pork, seafood, etc.

In sharing them with me, you are also showcasing them for everyone who peruses DC, and maybe can help less experienced cooks in their own paths to greatness.

Let the recipes come. And thanks to everyone who contributes.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

My secret herbs and spices. Not all used at once.
I usually increase the amount of any given herb by 1 1/2-2 amounts. Whoever heard of a 1/2 tsp anything in a seasoning that gets sparsely applied.
I like/ or tend to use seasoned flour, occasionally cracker crumbs, esp with breaded poke chops, which I haven't made in eons. I think I have never used panko crumbs. I have little or no experience with Cajun flavors.

Savory- my #1 favorite
thyme - my other #1 favorite
Marjoram
garlic powder or granules
smoked paprika
sage
rosemary
Coleman's dry mustard
Lemonade powdered drink mix, not as good as it sounds.
brown sugar
taco seasoned mix
chili powder
cumin
Lots of pepper. I probably missed a few others.

Actually, I almost always skip a flour type season mix and just Melt Butter. Add fresh garlic, lemon juice and steep some herbs in the butter. Pour over chicken pieces. Bake.

Last edited:
This is my basic poultry seasoning. Sorry it's a bit plain, but it's very tasty.

Dry Rub
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp garlic powder

My all purpose seasoning blend - Garlic powder, Onion powder, Goya Adobo Seasoning with pepper, Accent (optional), Sea Salt, Ground peppercorns (4 corn blend), Pride of Szeged Hungarian Sweet Paprika, Cayenne, Pride of Szeged Hungarian Hot Paprika, Ground red pepper flakes

For poultry or pork - Add - poultry seasoning.
For fish - Add 1, 2 or all - Goya Adobo with lemon seasoning, Old Bay or McCormick Lemon and pepper blend

All amounts are to personal taste.

I prefer fresh herbs BUT

Dry herbs added as needed for specific recipes are:
Dry oregano
Dry thyme
Dry rosemary
Dry Sage

*Dry basil and Dry parsley added ONLY if fresh (or freeze dried) is unavailable and absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
I dont have oen that cures all but I have few I use when I cant figure out what to do.

Pork. Allspice, cinnamon ( just a tiny amount), clove ( same here just tiny)

Chicken: paprika sweet or smoked, garlic powder and cumin.

Beef: salt and tellicherry pepper.

Veggies: oregano , thyme and sage, garlic powder.

I know there are some great cooks on this forum. So here's what I'm looking for, variations.

I know the general herbs, spices, and flavorings that I use, and am very happy with the results of my own seasoned flour mixtures. But I also know that there must be another hundred thousand variations that I haven't tried. So I'm looking for you best, and I'm talking absolutely favorite seasoned flour/coating mixture for fish, poultry, beef, pork, seafood, etc.

In sharing them with me, you are also showcasing them for everyone who peruses DC, and maybe can help less experienced cooks in their own paths to greatness.

Let the recipes come. And thanks to everyone who contributes.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

For me, I mostly use the dry/wet/dry coating technique.
I season my "meat", whatever it may be, with S&P as well as granulated Garlic that I buy in bulk from Costco (I use ALOT of it).
Then for the dredge:
Mochiko (Sweet Rice Flour)
Beaten whole egg (why waste the yolk)
and lastly Panko.
You know the drill after that, leave the protein to sit on a wire rack covered sheet pan in the `fridge for about 30 minutes to firm up your coating, prior to cooking it.
This makes for lovely fried or baked "meats" with a different taste.

Last edited:
My go to coating for chicken or pork is simple --- breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. I usually marinate the chicken or pork in a little olive oil, lemon or orange juice, soy sauce, garlic, and a light sprinkling of dry herbs. Like another poster suggested, I let the coated meat sit for awhile on a rack on top of a baking pan before cooking in oven. I think the parm gives the coating a nice crunch and a good taste.

My all purpose seasoning blend - Garlic powder, Onion powder, Goya Adobo Seasoning with pepper, Accent (optional), Sea Salt, Ground peppercorns (4 corn blend), Pride of Szeged Hungarian Sweet Paprika, Cayenne, Pride of Szeged Hungarian Hot Paprika, Ground red pepper flakes

For poultry or pork - Add - poultry seasoning.
For fish - Add 1, 2 or all - Goya Adobo with lemon seasoning, Old Bay or McCormick Lemon and pepper blend

All amounts are to personal taste.

I prefer fresh herbs BUT

Dry herbs added as needed for specific recipes are:
Dry oregano
Dry thyme
Dry rosemary
Dry Sage

*Dry basil and Dry parsley added ONLY if fresh (or freeze dried) is unavailable and absolutely necessary.

Oops forgot.

Cutlets, chops (with or without bones), veggies - chicken, veal, pork, eggplant, mushrooms, cauliflower etc:

I like to use different flours or combinations of flours like: peanut flour, coconut flour, ground rolled oats, rye flour, soy flour, regular whole or white wheat flour or almond flour. And sometimes ground wheat germ added to whatever flour or blend.

I usually use unseasoned bread crumbs whether regular or Panko and season them myself with my spices and herbs plus grated Parmesan and Romano cheeses.

I have used crushed bagged stuffing cubes/crumbs or croutons to coat chicken or pork.

Fish is usually just seasoned flour or flour/cornmeal combo.

I also do dry/wet/dry method except not always for fish or bone-in fried chicken those usually only get the seasoned flour or flour/cornmeal. Somethings a dip or soak in buttermilk first if I have it on hand.

Last edited:
An Italian sofritto (the chopped herbs and vegetables used for flavouring wa dish right at the start of preparing it are, usually, very finely chopped onions, carrots, and celery, with or without garlic according to your preference, then add fresh herbs: these are usually sage, parsley, rosemary and thyme, in equal quantities without overdoing it, again according to taste, add the meat and sizzle it gently and then deglaze with red or white wine according to the dish your'e making. Some times you use all or just some, and you can omit the vegetables in certain dishes, especially dishes like rabbit. These herbs and flavourings are used carefully with fish dishes, but the wine is essential. Best quality EVOO is essentially, sometimes also with butter (used in this way in Northern Italy than in the south. Quality is everything. The use of spice mixes is not really a feature in Italian cooking, and where they are used ( nutmeg, cinnamon, chilli pepper ( very often home grown). The challenge lies in delivering a seemingly simple dish. Coatings for frying are usually seasoned flour, breadcrumbs (home made - you use stale bread for it) and batter, rarely butter. So we don't really use flavoured coatings to a great extent, but when we do they really are good, especially the sweet ones like cannoli. It's quite hard to pinpoint what a good coating is really. Cotolette alla Milanese and fried fish, calamari, zucchini flowers. My oil for frying is 50% EVOO and 50% sunflower oil. I'm sure there are other fried dishes to, but they don't come to mind as we tend to avoid fried food. I have a very good recipe for batter though!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I make a Cajun seasoning mix using the following
salt, black red and white pepper, sweet paprika, onion powder, garlic powder dried thyme leaves, dried oregano.
Don't know the proportions since I have been making it for 60 years. I just put some in my hand and put it in a bowl. Good on any protein or as seasoning for gravies stews jambalaya etc.

If I am out of it or too lazy I go to Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning

This is good on all meats,fish, eggs etc.. in flour's and batters too.

img_1478407_0_29546ef3a88ee41a720d7484663e8db3.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom