Issues with slow cooker??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bear family

Assistant Cook
Hi guys ! Ive been having issues with our slow cooker and its driving me insaaane

I have a crockpot 4qt and i love it and have tried many recipes that all qorked out great. Now recently ive tried to make this brown sugar teriyaki chicken . Its a simple recipe and ive made it close to a dozen times. That last 3 times ive made it its just so watery i make the recipe exact and didnt have issues until now ive tried different chicken and they used ro work just fine before but now with even using organic chicken with no added water it just turns into a bunch of liquid.

Has this happend to any of you ?? Just my luck my husband signed me up to take my great chicken to his work and it comes out a mess :/
You guys have a wonderful rest of your day :)

Hi there, and welcome to Discuss Cooking. Could you post your recipe so we can all take a look and try and help?

I sure can !

Chicken breast (recipe says 5 but through trial and error ive come to realize 3 to 4 breasts works best)

2/3 cup vinegar
1/4cup sierra mist
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon pepper

issues with slow cooker ??

Welcome to DC! This is odd. Are you using a different brand of chicken than you used the first dozen times you made it? Can you drain it, then put the juice in a saucepan on the stove with a bit more cornstarch, thicken it up, and pour over? Maybe cut back the vinegar to a half cup.

Last edited:
Welcome to DC! This is odd. Are you using a different brand of chicken than you used the first dozen times you made it? Can you drain it, then put the juice in a saucepan on the stove with a bit more cornstarch, thicken it up, and pour over?

No i only use a generic chicken from walmart and another organic brand from fred meyer and they both do the same. Ive tried doing that and the taste isnt the same at all . Im scratching my head because if im doing everythi g the same why am i having this issue?? Adding more cornstarch thickens it a bit but its still watered down

issues with slow cooker ??

Hmm. Maybe precook the chicken in a skillet on the stovetop for a bit, till almost but not quite done, then drain, pat dry, and put in the CP with the rest of your ingredients. You'd need to reduce the time so you don't dry out the breasts.

Last edited:
Hmm. Maybe precook the chicken in a skillet on the stovetop for a bit, till almost but not quite done, then drain, pat dry, and put in the CP with the rest of your ingredients. You'd need to reduce the time so you don't dry out the breasts.

I will try that thank you ! I didnt try that because i was afraid of drying it out

So it came out perfectly several times and then was watery and you were making it exactly the same way in the same crock at the same setting?

So it came out perfectly several times and then was watery and you were making it exactly the same way in the same crock at the same setting?

Yes and yes i find it so weird . I cook it on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. I usually get he same results on both cookong times

To me, that sounds like a lot of liquid for 3 or 4 single breasts in a crock pot. When you made it successfully before how many breasts did you use and how long does it cook?
Are you using bone in breasts?

To me, that sounds like a lot of liquid for 3 or 4 single breasts in a crock pot. When you made it successfully before how many breasts did you use and how long does it cook?
Are you using bone in breasts?

When it comes out good it does have a little more liquid but its more of a thick glaze and its full of flavor . I used 4 and it cooks for 4 hours and no bone in the breasts

I really like the sound of your recipe BF, but I don't like crock pots at all, although many do. I think I'll do your recipe in a Dutch Oven and see what happens with the thighs that I prefer. I'll be browning the skinless bone in thighs before I start. Your recipe reminds me a little of Filipino Chicken Adobo.

I really like the sound of your recipe BF, but I don't like crock pots at all, although many do. I think I'll do your recipe in a Dutch Oven and see what happens with the thighs that I prefer. I'll be browning the skinless bone in thighs before I start. Your recipe reminds me a little of Filipino Chicken Adobo.

I would try it i only bought my crock pot because it was on sale . I think a dutch oven might work too i think the main thing is giving it enough time for the flavors to blend together . That actually sounds so good ive had different Filipino foods but not the chicken adobo

When do you add the cornstarch? If it is heated for too long or too high, it loses a lot of its thickening power.

Are you using the same amount and kind of vinegar? Vinegar can also have negative effects on the thickening power of cornstarch.

When do you add the cornstarch? If it is heated for too long or too hig8h, it loses a lot of its thickening power.

Are you using the same amount and kind of vinegar? Vinegar can also have negative effects on the thickening power of cornstarch.

I didnt know that thats interesting? I add in all the ingredients then add the chicken and stir occasionally. I use the distilled vinegar. That could be why its been comig out the way it has but its always thickened up before so why the change now ?

I didnt know that thats interesting? I add in all the ingredients then add the chicken and stir occasionally. I use the distilled vinegar. That could be why its been comig out the way it has but its always thickened up before so why the change now ?
That is baffling.

I would just leave out the cornstarch until the chicken was cooked and stir it in (dissolved in a bit of cold liquid) at the end, to thicken. I can't guarantee that will fix the problem.

Back
Top Bottom