Italian sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brown them in a pan and let some of the fat cook off then add them to a batch of tomato sauce. Simmer in the sauce and serve over pasta.

Penne w/sausage, peas and mascarpone.

(e-mailed to me a few years ago)

3/4 pound Hot Italian sausages -- casings removed
3/4 pound Sweet Italian sausages -- casings removed
1 cup Onion -- chopped
1 1/4 cup Whipping cream
3/4 cup Canned low-salt chicken broth
1 pound Penne
2 cups Frozen peas
2/3 cup Mascarpone cheese
3/4 cup Parmesan -- freshly grated

Saute sausages in Dutch oven over high heat until brown, breaking into small pieces with back of spoon, about 12 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to bowl. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon drippings. Add onion and saute until light brown, about 6 minutes. Add cream; boil 5 minutes.

Add broth; boil until reduced to sauce consistency, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Return sausage to pot.

Cook penne in large pot of boiling salted water until pasta is just tender but still firm to bite.

Meanwhile, bring sauce to simmer over medium heat. Add peas and mascarpone and simmer until peas are tender, about 6 minutes.

Drain pasta. Add to sauce; toss to coat. Mix in Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.

Transfer to large bowl; serve

CAINE'S WORLD FAMOUS ITALIAN SAUSAGE AND PEPPERS

INGREDIENTS:

2 pounds of Italian sausage, cut into two-inch pieces
Olive Oil
1 green bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 large onion, any variety
6 ounces (approx) Portobello mushrooms
4 cloves of garlic
2 cups of chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned in juice
1 Tbs tomato paste
2 Tbs oregano
1 tsp thyme
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (if desired)
Salt and pepper to taste

Cut onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, and celery into strips. Peel and mince garlic cloves. Brown sausage thoroughly in a sauté pan with olive oil. Remove the sausages and sauté the onions, and peppers in olive oil until soft. Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue to sauté until the garlic is just barely browned. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, thyme, bay leaf, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper and reduce heat to medium low. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning as desired. Add sausage and allow to simmer for at least one hour, stirring occasionally.

Last edited:
I have also baked Italian sausage in a 375F oven, and cooked it under the broiler. Just be sure to poke holes in the sausages, or they could very well explode.

Baked Ziti is a wonderful recipe, although personally, I would wait for a cool to cold day to make it: Spark It Up!!!: Baked Ziti with Sausage and Veggies

There are tons of recipes for it; this one sounds good to me :)

We were out of gas for the grill last night, so tonight I'm basically making this recipe on the grill instead of the saute pan, with red, green and orange peppers and onions, without the tomato sauce. I'll cut everything up after grilling and drizzle with olive oil, roasted garlic, and herbs.

Good news: DH just called to tell me our new granite countertops will be installed tomorrow, and the new stove and fridge will be installed next week. We're getting closer to having a real kitchen again :)

I usually cook them for about 5 -10 min in the microwave first , then brown/cook them for the rest of the cooking time , til juices run clear and not pink inside.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom