Juicy succulent chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

licia

Executive Chef
We went to dh's favorite barbecue place yesterday and the chicken was so moist it made me really want to learn to make my chicken more that way.

What are your tips for keeping chicken moist whether it is fried, broiled, etc.

My roast chicken is usually moist, but sometimes fried or broiled isn't as good.

Practice, practice, practice!

And, like everyone else has mentioned, brine it, and don't overcook!

Brining is the easy part. I brine all chicken that gets grilled, smoked, or roasted. I brine turkey as well.

The second half is not overcooking the birds. That comes with practice. I can usually perfectly grill chicken, and just poke it to see if it's done. If in doubt, use a probe thermometer. 165 degrees F is the magic temp for all chicken except smoked.

Okay, I understand how to brine chicken but can you brine boneless skinless breasts?

Hey jabbur, if you have BLSL breasts try the buttermilk thing. I find it works better for just breasts. (Oh lordy I can just see this thread taking a turn here! :ROFLMAO:)

When it's BBQ'd, the real trick is very low heat and long, slow cooking.

Yeah i agree with that.. I just learned to do it that way.
1x1t.gif

Hey jabbur, if you have BLSL breasts try the buttermilk thing. I find it works better for just breasts. (Oh lordy I can just see this thread taking a turn here! :ROFLMAO:)

Agree - buttermilk. But you can brine in buttermilk for a few days. I have done it with NO ill outcome i.e., texture changing.

Alix, you causing trouble again? :LOL:

Agree ... BRINE !

Then, when you roast, cover the roasting pan VERY TIGHT with heavy foil ... and keep from peeking ... when you peek, heat is lost.

This is also referred to as a French method of roasting.

(Reference cookbook: The Best Chicken Recipes - from the Editors of Cook's Illustrated - see Amazon.com)

It will be the most moist chicken you've every tasted ... VIOLA! ... but heads up ... the skin will not brown ... but since the skin is not good for you (dang doctors - what do they know!) ... and since you're going to (assuming you're going to) carve the bird up in the kitchen and serve slices on a platter - you won't need the skin.

"May the brine be with you!"

Back
Top Bottom