Just NOW learning how to cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MNmamma

Assistant Cook
Hi there,
Yes, I am almost 30yrs old and I can't cook. the only things I can cook is stuff that comes out of a box or some things I remember my mother cooking and that isn't much really. I have a family full of picky eaters so I would love to learn how to cook but I don't know if they would eat it. So I don't know what to do with that either. Do you have any suggestions on easy,recipies for a picky family?? Thanks in advance!!

A great big welcome to you, MNmama!!
You've come to the right place for inspiration. By the way, everyone who can read can cook, there are just those who choose not to, for whatever reason.
This is a very friendly place, with a wealth of knowledge.....you'll like it here.
Repeat after me......"from this day forward I CAN cook"!!
;)

Hey I have even more picky eaters, strating with me. Plus DW and 5 kids. Stick around you might learn a thing or two.

Ugh - picky eaters are big bugaboos with me. My philosophy has always been "eat it or don't eat at all" - lol!

That said, can you provide a ballpark list of what your family is picky about? Some may be legitimate & ones that can easily be worked around in the quest for nice easy healthy meals. Others may fall into the "suck it up" category - lol!

Welcome to DC NMmama!
Got questions, just ask.
Need a reicpe, just ask.
Don't understand something, just ask.
Repeat after me.. "there is no such thing as a silly question".
We all are here because we love food, cooking, sharing, and helping others.

Food channel?

Do you watch the cooking shows on the Food Network? Giada explains things as she cooks on Everyday Italian and Giada At Home shows.

May I suggest buying one of these:
1. BETTY CROCKER'S COOKING BASICS
2. LEARNING TO COOK with Marion Cunningham
3. NOW YOU'RE COOKING by Elaine Corn

Welcome to DC MNmamma, as many have said just ask there will always be someone around to answer your questions... When I first started to cook I bought a copy of The Joy of Cooking, this is a fabulous way to get yourself started...

Good Luck in your new adventure, you will have fun, and good food!!! ;):);)

Hello and welcome! :) I am just a newbie in cooking as well. I suggest that you try to determine what recipes they love and learn how to cook it. Find recipes or videos that can help you how to cook it. It may not be perfect on your first time but it can be better as you do it again and again...

Your could start with a basic tomato pasta sauce. I think everybody loves pasta.

Cooked carrots
Tomatoes
Oregano, either fresh or dried
Marjarom, either fresh or dried
Onions
Garlic
salt
sugar
olive olive oil

Cook all these together in a pan and then puree.

Serve with pasta and a sprinkling of grated cheese

For picky eaters I just hide the stuff they "don't like" inside foods they love. I cook and puree carrots into muffins, spaghetti sauce, etc so she doesn't know she's getting the healthy good stuff in her favorite foods. Or I flat out lie. "No, sweetie, there isn't any sour cream in this twice baked potato. Why do you ask?"

Ugh - picky eaters are big bugaboos with me. My philosophy has always been "eat it or don't eat at all" - lol!

That said, can you provide a ballpark list of what your family is picky about? Some may be legitimate & ones that can easily be worked around in the quest for nice easy healthy meals. Others may fall into the "suck it up" category - lol!
Extortion works, too! The "or else, no dessert" arm-twisting tactic. :glare:

Welcome, NMmamma! Everyone here at DC is generous with help and info.

You might also look into casseroles. Many recipes are easy. Some people feel more comfortable with oven-cooking than stovetop-cooking. And, it's easy to hide "picky" stuff in them. You can start with mac-n-cheese.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom