Kasha in a rice cooker.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use the rice cooker for larger batches so I don't have to cook all week...oatmeal, rice, lentils, tapioca...

Interesting that you do that. The late, lamented Roger Ebert wrote a book dedicated entirely to the rice cooker: "The Pot And How To Use It. The mystery and romance of the rice cooker". The idea of using the RC as a slow cooker, a crock pot, a dutch oven, etc. Check it out. I've got the book but haven't cooked anything from it. But, it did inspire the impulse to cook the kasha in it, even though I didn't do it.

I traded in my rice cooker for an electric pressure cooker/rice cooker/slow cooker...it does everything beautifully! With just two of us it is the perfect size.

I thought that the reason you wanted to use rice cooker was to save time, i.e. set it up to cook when you were at work, or something. In my experience kasha takes about 20 minutes, the same as rice. Of course depends on quantity.

I've gone from the Mirro, 'it just might explode', to Fagor, to the Cuisinart electric. I impressed my Mom with the electric by fixing her a corned beef dinner in 45 minutes, complete with tender carrots, potatoes and cabbage.

Thanks for reminding me about Roger Ebert's cookbook, I had forgotten it. I love discovering new things to do in a rice cooker.

Back
Top Bottom