King Oyster mushroom help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i stopped by a korean market yesterday and picked up a bag of about 5 or 6 king oyster mushrooms.

i've seen them on foodtv's "iron chef", but i've never cooked them before.

does anyone have any ideas on how i should prepare them? i was thinking of making some kind of stir fry, or 'shroom soup (i also have fresh criminis and white caps, as well as dried shiitakes and morels), or i've found a recipe for frying in panko.

does anyone have good, especially tnt recipes that come to mind? tia.

Try this from the ChubbyVegetarian. He says he, "scored and seared mushrooms on a bed of caramelized leeks. The slaw of English cucumber and organic apple was simply dressed in equal parts honey and rice vinegar. I garnished the dish with parsley leaves and drizzled the whole thing with ponzu." He also said they were still chewy. I think there is no getting away from that.

Attachments

• KingOysterMushrooms.jpg
    KingOysterMushrooms.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,683
Well, you can't really score oyster mushrooms. They are all leaf/cap. Not a lot of stem.

Ok, I have used these to make a nice mushroom, leek casserole(sp).

When using oyster mushrooms you have to trim the leaf/cap away from the stem. Most of the stem is unusable as it is very rubbery (they do make great stock though). After that you can use them whatever way you use any sliced/chopped mushroom.

They grow wild in hard wood forests!! Great to pick in Sept/Oct in the midwest.

Try this from the ChubbyVegetarian. He says he, "scored and seared mushrooms on a bed of caramelized leeks. The slaw of English cucumber and organic apple was simply dressed in equal parts honey and rice vinegar. I garnished the dish with parsley leaves and drizzled the whole thing with ponzu." He also said they were still chewy. I think there is no getting away from that.

Mollyanne are those mushrooms or scallops??? :ermm::ermm::ermm:

i stopped by a korean market yesterday and picked up a bag of about 5 or 6 king oyster mushrooms.

i've seen them on foodtv's "iron chef", but i've never cooked them before.

does anyone have any ideas on how i should prepare them? i was thinking of making some kind of stir fry, or 'shroom soup (i also have fresh criminis and white caps, as well as dried shiitakes and morels), or i've found a recipe for frying in panko.

does anyone have good, especially tnt recipes that come to mind? tia.
Hi BT;)
It's good to see you back with us.I've only used this mushroom in stir fry or a nice Asian soup,
kades

King oysters are pretty meaty mushrooms. I'd want to show that off in a preparation. I wouldn't want to cut it up really small.

Consider slicing them in half length-wise and frying them in olive oil.

Attachments

• 80eb8ffc904eab0a4f21192d0d6c9833.jpg
    80eb8ffc904eab0a4f21192d0d6c9833.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 5,318
Regarding the photo in my post above. I thought the King Oyster Mushrooms looked alot like scallops too but this photo is on the ChubbyVegetarian's website along with his recipe and personal comment. I would assume that he smooshed them down on the top as he scored them.

thanks, everyone.

and hiya kads!

big daddy, i'm not sure what you mean about oyster mushrooms being all cap.
both the smaller oyster and larger king oyster 'shrooms are mostly stem.

do you have a recipe for the leek caserole, btw? sounds good.

mollyanne, the picture you posted looks like cross sections of the stem that were, lol, smooshed. thanks very much for the recipe. copied and saved.

andy, i was thinking of doing that and sauteeing in evoo, butter, and garlic.

i'll post my results.

The dried oyster mushrooms I bought in the Asian grocery don't look like scallops or like Andy's picture. They are light tan, thin (1/4 inch or so) and some are the size of my palm, others are broken pieces.

I pick oyster mushrooms here in Missouri--if you wander the woods, they appear at random times--even in midwinter, if it is wet enough and the temperature stays above freezing for a couple of days.

There is a difference between Oyster and King oyster mushrooms.

The first picture is of Oyster Mushrooms

The second picture is of King Oyster Mushrooms

Attachments

• Oyster Mushrooms.jpg
    Oyster Mushrooms.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 756
  • King Oyster Mushrooms.jpg
    King Oyster Mushrooms.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 12,346
oops, thanks andy. i was getting enoki mushrooms confused with the regular oyster. i see now what big daddy meant about them.

sparrowgrass, how big were the caps?

did they possibly look like this?

enoki.jpg

thanks very much mollyanne! karma on it's way. :chef:

is see that they suggest cutting the stem into rounds to simulate scallops.

i guess i'm going to do a few things with them. some sauteed, some grilled, some in soup, and possibly some panko fried.

thanks very much mollyanne! karma on it's way. :chef:

is see that they suggest cutting the stem into rounds to simulate scallops.

i guess i'm going to do a few things with them. some sauteed, some grilled, some in soup, and possibly some panko fried.

Reading mollyanne's link tells me that they might be too chewy for a straight saute.

yeah, i figured a sear with aromatics, then into the slow cooker for a braise, then reducing the liquid to make a sauce. i'll play it by ear.

too bad i don't have wood ears. :chef:

King_Oyster_Mushroom_Slices.jpg
This isn't the brand I bought, but that is what they look like. Range in size from little pieces to 3 inches or so.

As a mushroom hunter, I would say these are more mature versions of your lovely fresh ones.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom