Kitchen without air conditioning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Caspar, my problem was that my sweetie stayed behind to care for our many pets (5 cats now and one growing puppy). No one for snuggling.

Karen - That's a sad, sad place. not even a couple of the kitties for warmth? I even have that.

I'll think warm thoughts for you on cold nights :flowers:

Bob

Not only is my kitchen a sweat box on the hottest summer days, you could hang meat in it during the winter. The olive and peanut oils actually solidify in the cabinets! We have to be very careful to leave the kitchen and bathroom under-sink doors open when it goes below freezing out or we can have major frozen/burst pipe problems. The rooms ARE heated, but our entire town is in the 19th century and this last winter was a bear (well below zero for weeks). My heating system is better than most. So when winter howls like it did the past two years, there is ALWAYS something on the stove. Soup. Pot of tea or even just hot water to make tea with. Stews. Heavier sauces. Anything long-cooking. There were a couple of days when I had all five burners going, even if it only was water in the pot, all day, and would run hot water in the shower (like many old homes, the bathroom is attached to the kitchen) every half hour or so, just to keep ahead of Jack Frost. In fact, seasons here, for the first time in my life, are almost right to the date. Spring springs, autumn falls, winter freezes, and summer is just right. Too hot at times, but not very long.

Is there anyone out there besides me who has a kitchen without air conditioning? I love my kitchen, and it is only a problem for a month or two out of the year. I'm going to post a few of my ideas for coping with it, and please chime in with yours.

I live in a really big old house (1883) with no AC except for 2 window units upstairs.

The kitchen can get pretty hot.

We have lots of windows to open as well as a back door and a fan.

We grill outside a lot, too. And eat things that don't require the oven pretty much all summer unless pressed into duty.

A grill on the back porch is my solution :) Seriously if it's over 90 outside, there's no way I'm turning that oven on. And besides, who doesn't like grilling?

Wow, I just got home and the temp outside here is varying between 109 and 113. If I had no a/c in my kitchen, we would eat salads all summer. Preferably in an air conditioned restaurant, lol!! God bless you all this summer!!!

Back
Top Bottom