Kosher Dry Mustard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Or rather where to buy dry mustard? It used to be available in our grocery store, but now I can't find anywhere. Added problem, it has to be kosher. :(

Sorry, if this is not the right place. Couldn't deside where to post it.

Here is a link for Colman's Dry mustard.

And this one is for Watkins Dry Mustard.

I buy Keen's at my Safeway. I just read on the net though that Colman's owns it. I don't know whethere either of these would be kosher, but you can certainly ask.

Thank you Alix. I'm talking to a company that sells Colman's (by the way their musturd is the best one I ever had) but it doesn't seem that they are kosher, so it's no good, but I'm still waiting for them to call me back.

My supermarket has a few different dry mustards, but I have never looked to see if they are kosher.

Maybe try Penzys too.

CharlieD said:
Thank you Alix. I'm talking to a company that sells Colman's (by the way their musturd is the best one I ever had) but it doesn't seem that they are kosher, so it's no good, but I'm still waiting for them to call me back.

Rats! Try the Watkins one, I use some of their other stuff and it is really good. I can't vouch for their kosherness either though.

canadians have dry kosher mustard charlie, don't believe what you're hearing. they just won't share it with their tempermental neighbors to the south... :)

(no, not he corner again, c'mon alix, i was only kidding....)

Perhaps you can buy mustard seed and grind it yourself and make your own mustard.

I believe, although am certainly not an expert on kosher food, that such a procedure would be considered kosher by most people.

Good luck and God bless.

auntdot said:
Perhaps you can buy mustard seed and grind it yourself and make your own mustard.

I believe, although am certainly not an expert on kosher food, that such a procedure would be considered kosher by most people.

Good luck and God bless.

Neither am I, but it all depends.

buckytom said:
canadians have dry kosher mustard charlie, don't believe what you're hearing. they just won't share it with their tempermental neighbors to the south... :)

(no, not he corner again, c'mon alix, i was only kidding....)

I think it is the woodshed for you bucky...wheres Dove?

Charlie, I just got my Penzey's catalogue and they have dry mustard too. HOWEVER, when I was searching their site for it I couldn't find it. So, I think maybe you would be well advised to order their catalogue if you think that might work for you.

Well, actually I found mustard that is kosher, the only problem is, it comes in 45 pound bag. :dizzy:

My can of Coleman's is several years old but it seems wasteful to replace it because I use dry mustard so seldom. I've become used to grinding cumin, corriander and chiles and have wondered about grinding mustard seed and making my own prepared mustards. Any experience with this you can share?

Just out of curiosity, how would a kosher mustard seed, ground or not, differ from a non kosher seed?

Colman's English mustard powder is a must for so many dishes; I use it dry to add a crust to chicken - I use it as part of a stuffing mix... I use it to marinate meats.... I go through one of their tins in less than a month!

You need it to make a good Caesar salad dressing too. And to dredge parmesan chicken. Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

YEEEAHHHH.

Did you know that the Colman who started the company in Norfolk used to say 'it's the stuff that people LEAVE ON THEIR PLATES that makes me rich'!!!!

CharlieD, grew up in Brooklyn among many people whose opinion of what constituted kosher varied greatly.

I have learned a very little about it.

The only recommendation I would have is to consult a rabbi. Found a website that might help:

http://www.ou.org/kosher/rebbe.html

Through this website one can apparently ask a rabbi regarding what is kosher and what is not.

Just tossing it out for what it is worth.

Good luck.

skilletlicker said:
Just out of curiosity, how would a kosher mustard seed, ground or not, differ from a non kosher seed?

Technicaly - it will not. There are some details, which I am not sur about because I simply do not know how the seeds are dried. I already mentioned that above.

Ishbel said:
Colman's English mustard powder is a must for so many dishes; I use it dry to add a crust to chicken - I use it as part of a stuffing mix... I use it to marinate meats.... I go through one of their tins in less than a month!

How big of a tin are we talking about?

Back
Top Bottom