Lactose free heavy cream/half-and-half?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
Just wondering if anyone has ever seen a lactose free heavy cream or half and half. I know there is lactose free whole milk and cheese (such as it is) but I would really like to find a half and half or cream.

A very mild coconut flavor. I made Tom Kha soup using coconut milk last night, there was little discernable coconut flavor. I actually wanted more.

Last edited:
A very mild coconut flavor. I made Tom Kha soup using coconut milk last night, there was little discernable coconut flavor. I actually wanted more.
Thanks, I won't bother with that. Still need to know about other lactose free products.

Thanks, I won't bother with that. Still need to know about other lactose free products.

Do you want a coconut flavor?

Lactase advertises that it's lactose free. They even have a spokescow! Seriously, I've seen some commercials with a talking cow, discussing lactose-free milk. Can't remember the brand, though I think it's Lactase.

Last edited:
Do you want a coconut flavor?

Lactase advertises that it's lactose free. They even have a spokescow! Seriously, I've seen some commercials with a talking cow, discussing lactose-free milk. Can't remember the brand, though I think it's Lactase.
Lactase is the enzyme that breaks down lactose. You can buy it and add it to dairy products, so that lactose intolerant people can enjoy them without unpleasant repercussions.

You could buy some lactase and add it to the cream. It probably has to sit for a while before the lactose is split.

Add more. I get a good flavor of coconut in tom kha soup. I don't expect it to be piña colada strong.

Andy...I don't want the coconut flavor. I'm trying to find a sub for heavy cream or half and half and don't want the coconut to interfer with other flavors. But thank you for your kind input.

Tax lady adding the lactase is sn interesting idea. If I am using it I have to take it with the first bite of dairy. That means that I can't really taste things as I cook. What I am looking for is a way to get the richness of the higher milk fat products without the unfortunate consequences. And if I could have real whipped cream again that would be a plus. I guess I could use the oil based spray can stuff but it's not the same. I may try your idea about adding lactase to the product some day when I know I'm not going to have to leave the house. :LOL:

Andy...I don't want the coconut flavor. I'm trying to find a sub for heavy cream or half and half and don't want the coconut to interfer with other flavors. But thank you for your kind input.

Sorry I can't really help with your problem. I was replying to taxlady's soup comment.

Tax lady adding the lactase is sn interesting idea. If I am using it I have to take it with the first bite of dairy. That means that I can't really taste things as I cook. What I am looking for is a way to get the richness of the higher milk fat products without the unfortunate consequences. And if I could have real whipped cream again that would be a plus. I guess I could use the oil based spray can stuff but it's not the same. I may try your idea about adding lactase to the product some day when I know I'm not going to have to leave the house. :LOL:
If you have made your cream "lactose free" by putting drops in it and waiting 24 hours for the drops to break down the lactose, you wouldn't need to take the pills. You could add it to whipping cream too. You just have to plan ahead by 24 hours. ;)

According to the blurb for this brand, Amazon.com: Lactase Drops 15 ml - Lactase Enzyme Supplement - 76 Servings - Safe for Infants: Health & Personal Care, "... 5 drops reduces lactose by over 70% in 1 pint of milk over 24 hours". From what I understand, that's about the same level as stuff sold as "lactose free" or "reduced lactose". I'm sure there are many/several brands of lactase.

Yes, it probably is a good idea to test this when you don't have to leave the house.

Tax lady...thanks so much. I did not know lactase was available in drops. Nor did I know that lactose free products are not completely. lactose free. That explains a lot. I am going to order some drops.

Tax lady...thanks so much. I did not know lactase was available in drops. Nor did I know that lactose free products are not completely. lactose free. That explains a lot. I am going to order some drops.
I hope the drops work well for you.

Joefolk, The product that absolutely doesn't have any dairy in it is Coffee Rich, if you are in CA then they have Coffee Mate. I keep kosher so I have to deal with it all the time. Not sure about Coffee Mate, but Coffee Rich for sure can be used as a heavy cream substitute. There is even suggestion on the carton. Oh, and for whip cream, non-dairy kind, there is a product called Rich's Whip. It's not the same as dairy, but as good as it gets being non-dairy. Both are kosher and carry symbol "Parve" which means that product doesn't have any meat or dairy products in them. Both are true and tested.

P.S. note that majority of so called Non-Dairy toppings, or coffee creamers, or even whip cream have some form of lactose in them. Depending on why you need lactose free you have to be careful, especially if it is allergies you are worried.

Last edited:
CharlieD..Thanks for the heads up. I never thought to look for kosher products. I think we have all of the products you mentioned here. Can't wait to try the coffee rich in my tomato soup...I really miss it. I became lactose intolerant after a surgery six years ago but I am so addicted to dairy products that I have been living with. the consequences but the time had come to make better substitutions so ad not to interfere with a more normal life.

http://www.tofutti.com/ check this out, it is all dairy free. Also, whole foods Cary whole line of nondairy sorbet and ice cream. The one I love is pomegranate chocolate chip. I am no big of ice cream, but this stuff is awesome. Also they Cary bunch of fake cheese, I think it is tofu product. Not the same, but ....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Back
Top Bottom