Leftovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
OK, here's one I don't remember seeing posted before (remember, I've been out of touch for a month or two, so, monitors, feel free to delete).

Over recent years I've had friends who say they never eat leftovers. Are they rich or ... I don't know. I guess, at this point in my life, I could afford to throw away perfectly good food that I've already paid for. But I don't.

Take home packages. Most restaurants, as far as I'm concerned, charge exorbitant rates for far more food that one person could (or at least should) eat. So ...

I take home the food we don't eat and make marvelous, different meals with them.

Do you have this problem, and how do you deal with it?

Example #1. A huge porterhouse steak. I want the flavor, but no way can I eat even a third of it. I eat most of the strip side (I happen to like a little chew to my beef). I take the rest home and make a marvelous meal with the filet side. I then toss the bone in the freezer and make beef stock. When I'm through the steak has paid for itself.

#2 A local restaurant makes a great beef liver and onion dinner. Yet again, it is too much for one to eat. I took the liver & onions home (I'm not kidding, this stuff is to die for if you like liver, which both hubby and I do), and made a sort of version of dirty rice with the leftovers.

One time we both ordered baked potatoes and they were huge! Took them home, chopped them, and made the best home fries!

Does anyone else do this? Some of our friends think we are extravagant when ordering, but then, guess what, we easily get a couple of meals from what we take home.

One meal would easily do us together, but then they charge a "plating" charge. So order it all and take it home.

What do you do?

I always use leftovers. I make double portions of Lasagna and Mac 'n cheese and freeze for later use. I do the same with soups and stews.
Leftover curry minced beef in great for fatcakes or pita bread stuffing. You could also stuff crepes and cover with cheese (grill like enchiladas) and serve with salad. Leftover bolognaisse sauce is great for all of the above.
Leftover roast, chicken, steamed or boiled veg etc. can be chopped up and added to quiche.
Leftover meat cut up and added to salad or used for school lunches.........

When we go out to eat - which is rarely - we always take home the leftovers. We paid for it so they are ours ! As far as what we do with them, it's usually just a reheat and repeat meal. It's the same when we cook a large meal at home, leftovers are great !

Over recent years I've had friends who say they never eat leftovers. Are they rich or ... I don't know. I guess, at this point in my life, I could afford to throw away perfectly good food that I've already paid for. But I don't.

Take home packages. Most restaurants, as far as I'm concerned, charge exorbitant rates for far more food that one person could (or at least should) eat. So ...

I take home the food we don't eat and make marvelous, different meals with them.

We do the same. In fact, I plan our weekly meals with leftovers in mind, either for another dinner or for lunch.

I know a few people who aldo say they don't eat leftovers. I don't understand the resistance.

Shrek won't eat leftovers, I do. Anything brought home I make into meals for myself.

I don't have this problem, but my father does, so it's not unheard of.

When we go out to eat, I almost always get a "doggy bag". Stirling doesn't, but he usually likes that amount of food. :ermm:

I use the food for lunches for me.

I usually try to make enough food for leftovers. Stirling has no issue about eating leftovers of food that we cooked.

We don't order restaurant meals with the intent of having leftovers. Sometimes, SO gets a meal that turns out to be too much and she will bring it home for another meal.

We tend to share an appetizer rather than ordering two. We tend to skip dessert. I don't order a salad or eat the bread they bring to the table.

I'm there for the main event. It's rare for me to have leftovers.

All that said, if I found my self with leftovers from a meal I really enjoyed, I'd take it home.

Sometimes I put half my meal in a box before I start eating. I reheat an repeat usually, so I don't want to be tempted to eat the whole piece of meat, and just be left with potatoes lol! But I would still take the potatoes home if that's all I had. I would have them with a sandwich or something. I can understand when people are in a hotel or something, but I hate throwing away huge plates of food. It also helps my peace of mind that we recycle food (it goes to feed pigs) where I work, but I still shake my head throwing big steaks and plates of ribs, and things like that to feed the pigs.

I purposely plan my meals to include leftovers or to turn into something else. I believe strongly in "cook once, eat twice."

Example, a pot roast gets turned into stroganoff or a bolognese sauce the next day. Food is very expensive here so I try and stretch my groceries. I made corned beef with cabbage last night which will also be Thursdays dinner. Tonight's meal will be something different. Splitting up leftovers with a new meal in between helps keep interest.

Back
Top Bottom