Lemon Meringue Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lktknow

Assistant Cook
I am having a terrible time with making a Lemon meringue pie. I used to make them all the time when I was a lot younger, and they always turned out great, but that was 20 years ago.
The problem I am having is with the crust tasting and having the texture of rubber.
I have watched every video on youtube on how to ,make pie crust, and also the ones on making the lemon pie itself, but nothing is helping.
I guess the main thing I need to know, is if you are supposed to pour the curd into a hot pie from the oven, after the pie crust is baked?
Or actually, any hints or tips would be appreciated.
thank you

I always put the filling in after the crust is cooked. I usually let it cool just a bit first but have put it in right from the oven.

Here is the pie crust recipe I use. It's flaky and I've never had it come out rubbery or flat.

Hope this helps ! Lemon Meringue is one of my favorites.

Basic Pie Crust

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup shortening
1 1/4 cups all−purpose flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg yolk
2 Tbsp ice water
1/2 tsp vinegar

Beat together butter and shortening until smooth and creamy; chill until firm.
Sift together flour, sugar and salt in medium bowl.

Using fork, cut butter and shortening into dry ingredients until mixture has a consistent texture.
Mix egg yolk, ice water and vinegar into dough, then form into ball and refrigerate about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 450° F.

When dough has chilled, roll it out and press into pie plate.

Press parchment paper or aluminum foil into crust and weight crust down with ceramic pie weight or another pie plate filled with dried beans if making a single crust pie.

Bake 15 minutes, then remove weight or pan filled with beans and prick crust with fork to allow steam to escape.

Bake another 5−10 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

Let crust cool.

Double recipe for a double crust pie.

do you get lucky brand pie filling? they have a recipe right on the can that is excellent !

Lemon meringue

Thank you for the replies.
And thank you lmb for the recipe for the pie crust.
I know how basic a pie crust recipe is, and I think I mentioned, that I had watched almost every video on Youtube, in regards of how to make pie crust, and followed the directions to the letter, only to have all of them turn out wrong.
It was getting very frustrating.
I think I totally realize at what point, the crust actually takes a wrong turn with me, and I believe it is at the point I start to add the ice water. (as a side note, and sorry this is so long) But I have started cooking again after 20 some odd years, and it is not like riding a bicycle! lol to begin with, my first attempt at making the pie crust , turned into a fiasco. one of the videos i watched, said to pulse the flour and butter mixture in a food processor, which I had never owned one before, so I went and bought one. Please do not think I am a moron, but when I was pulsing it, it had said to do it, until it reached a pea shape consistency. So I took the top off the processor, reached my hand down in the mixture, to see if it was the right texture......and almost cut my finger off with the blade of the processor. Well, that day of pie crust making came to a grinding halt. Had a heck of a time getting the bleeding stopped. Don't know what I was thinking, evidently I wasn't.
But, getting back to the pie crust, I have tried it with the processor, without the processor, I have tried it with chilling the dough before rolling it out, not chilling it, and on and on, until I was of the mind set, to say forget it, and buy the frozen crusts. but, I truly wanted the whole pie to be home made, so I have kept plugging along.
I will say, I made one for Christmas dinner, and it turned out as close to perfect, as I could hope for. and the crust I used, was the one in the box, from Jiffy. they are very cheap, all Jiffy products are, but the pie crust mix is only 70 cents, not that I wanted to be thrifty, I just wanted a good pie crust, so i tried it. and it was delicious, flaky, just the whole nine yards. BUT, during the process of making the pie, I realized a couple things. First of all, I was putting the pie, directly in the refrigerator, from out of the oven , after browning the meringue. this time, I let it sit out for just a little while, before putting it in the fridge. Also, I had been putting it on the glass shelf, in the fridge, and this time, I put a towel under it, or qa pad, to keep the moisture off the bottom of it. I thought perhaps those two things were the reason for the tough crust?? but for whatever reasons, whatever I did this time, really worked. Now, if I can just dupolicate it, I'll be in business. lol
No, I have not tried the lucky brand filling, but I will look for it and try it, thank you for the suggestion.
again, thank you both for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom