Lemonade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook
I am making lemonade and was wondering if there is a difference between simply disolving sugar in water at room temperature or boiling it together then waiting 2 hours for the simple syrup to chill?

The sugar will dissolve a lot faster when you boil it. I don't think there are other differences. But, simple syrup will dissolve in cold drinks, while it will take a long time for sugar to do so. If you are adjusting the lemonade to your own taste, you can start with less simple syrup than called for and slowly add enough until you like it. You can't really do that with sugar granules. I almost always have simple syrup on hand. It lasts a long time.

I don´t think anyone will notice the difference. Except you, that is, who will save two hours!!!
But make that simple syrup and keep it handy for another occasion. It will always come in useful.

The sugar will dissolve a lot faster when you boil it. I don't think there are other differences. But, simple syrup will dissolve in cold drinks, while it will take a long time for sugar to do so. If you are adjusting the lemonade to your own taste, you can start with less simple syrup than called for and slowly add enough until you like it. You can't really do that with sugar granules. I almost always have simple syrup on hand. It lasts a long time.

I was under the impression that sugar dissolved into water is a simple syrup?

I was under the impression that sugar dissolved into water is a simple syrup?

It is, if there is enough sugar in that water. I'm just saying that once it is dissolved into the water, it is much easier to use in cold liquids than sugar in solid form as granulated sugar. Sure, you can use granulated sugar in cold liquids, but there will be a LOT of stirring compared with using simple syrup.

Room temp water won't fully dissolve the sugar. Sugar crystals will sink in your lemonade and the bottom of the pitcher or glass will be sweeter than the top.

:)

Back
Top Bottom