Lettuce Wrap Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollyanne

Flour Child
...What's the best kind of lettuce leaves for wrapping? I'm thinking iceberg lettuce is just not user friendly?

...What are your favorite ingredients for filling lettuce wraps?

...What's your favorite restaurant where they serve the best lettuce wraps? I heard PF Changs lettuce wraps are nothing to write home about.

I want to make these for guests and have them go "wow". I made them once a few years ago and can't remember what I used. I think avocado was one ingredient.

...What's the best kind of lettuce leaves for wrapping? I'm thinking iceberg lettuce is just not user friendly?

...What are your favorite ingredients for filling lettuce wraps?

...What's your favorite restaurant where they serve the best lettuce wraps? I heard PF Changs lettuce wraps are nothing to write home about.

I want to make these for guests and have them go "wow". I made them once a few years ago and can't remember what I used. I think avocado was one ingredient.
Mollyanne I love soft butter lettuce, I'd make a mix of grated carrot,avocado, shrimp, cucumber, cilantro and some green onion. You could also use some shredded crab, or chicken instead of shrimp and make dipping sauce to go with. I have to ask a friend what she makes next week and will get back to you.
kades
You could make a spicy peanut sauce be sure and use lim in your sauce as well as cilantro..Or make a spicy lime sauce with garlic brown sugar..these are suggestions I would include cilantro,garlic,brown sugar in any sauce as well as lime.

Last edited:
I second the butter lettuce for wraps. Endive (inside leaves) is nice as open "scoops."

i'm thinking lettuce with left over chicken and some rice i cooked in chicken broth. have cilantro, and limes. that's about it. any ideas that don't involve uncooked veg. i do have home made green salsa that needs to be used up. i have butter lettuce and red leaf as well. gotta be better than the meal i made tonight. i don't even want to talk about it. lol

butter and romaine lettuce would be my choices. you can use iceberg, but it's a little brittle for wrapping. it's better filled like a scoop.

korean perilla leaves (wild sesame) are also very good, especially wrapped around grilled meats.

as far as fillings go, i'd have to stay with the korean bbq thing. bulgogi or joo mul look (marinated beef), or shrimp with shredded green onion and bean paste are delicious in a leaf wrap.

I had one once in a chinese restaurant. I cant remember exactly what was in it, but, I do remember there were some broken fried rice noodle pieces incorporated into the filling. Didnt add much to the taste, But it did add a nice crispy, textual thing to the filling.

...butter lettuce sounds like the winner. I wouldn't have thought of that so thank you. And the fillings sound delicious...and the sauce ideas too. I can't wait to do these.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom