Lipton Onion Soup Mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Does anyone actually make soup with this?

I have been hooked on "California Dip" since I was a kid. Couldn't get enough of it!

I still can't.

I have passed on my addiction to two more generations as my daughters and grandson also head for the dip when they see it on the table.

Anyone else?

Never made soup with it, but I do make the dip and I also put it in meatloaf with french onion dip gravy over top.

Ha, ha! I've made the dip many times. Never made the soup. Tried it in a burger thing not too long age. Yuck! Now, Ranch burgers those are great!

I think I saw a Lipton Onion Soup cookbook once, with countless recipes using that! :LOL: I haven't used it since I was in school, and only for dips, then.

I don't even remember anyone in school making soup with it.

In the 60's it was soup. In the 70's it was dip.

Used it once for a meatloaf - never again! was so disgusting, burping and dying of thirst.

Haven't used it since.

I think I actually did try to make soup with it once, and its was bitter. Even with the dip, I add more sour cream than it says to dilute the flavor a bit.

In the 60's it was soup. In the 70's it was dip.

Used it once for a meatloaf - never again! was so disgusting, burping and dying of thirst.

Haven't used it since.

Actually, both the soup and the dip go back to the mid 50s!

Andy, I only meant that's when I used them. My mother actually used it in recipes with great success, I'm not sure how - at the time (50's) I wasn't interested.

Katie H, not that I'm sensitive to salt, but I too, tried to use it in small amounts, sometimes successful, sometimes not.

But then there would always be this leftover, folded up, envelope that would eventually spill grains of yuck everywhere. Always said I would use up and never did. So I just stopped buying it.

About soups - only 2 soups I really remember from my youth were canned and Campbell's - Chicken Noodle and Tomato.

Last edited:
Have I ever used it? No. Would I ever use it? No.
Soup is so easy to make, I wonder why anyone buys the packets... unless it´s a childhood craving, which then legitimises the purchase! LOL! My wife occasionally has a craving for Knorr cream of chicken soup, as I have a craving for their "minestrone".
Good onion soup only involves lots of onions and good stock.
For an onion dip, I make my blue cheese and caramelised onion dip. Can´t beat it!

Have I ever used it? No. Would I ever use it? No.
Soup is so easy to make, I wonder why anyone buys the packets... unless it´s a childhood craving, which then legitimises the purchase! LOL! My wife occasionally has a craving for Knorr cream of chicken soup, as I have a craving for their "minestrone".
Good onion soup only involves lots of onions and good stock.
For an onion dip, I make my blue cheese and caramelised onion dip. Can´t beat it!

Soup IS easy to make and homemade is always better. My point was a little different, that the soup packets were mostly used to make the dip and that no one bothered to make the soup with them.

Yep - I think I slightly misunderstood the post!!
I´ve got a friend here who makes dips with soup mix all the time. Don´t know if she´s done it with Lipton, mind you!

I've only used it to make dip. However, the Lipton's Chicken Noodle Soup, when camping, and it's a chilly night, nothing smells, or tastes better around a campfire. Many a boy scout camp out, in Michigan's U.P. in the fall found us chowing down on that soup, quick easy, tasty, and warmed you to your toes. And the hot mug warmed cold fingers as a bonus.:clap:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Funny, I've never bought or used the stuff.
My SIL and two nieces love Lipton's Onion Dip and I
got the notion one Christmas to make Onion Dip
from scratch.
It took me for ever to make, caramelizing the Onions first and so on... I
was so pleased with myself and it tasted really good!
When we got to their house and I put out the dip with chips
the three gals dug in, NO BUENO!
They did not care for it at all :ermm:

Funny, I've never bought or used the stuff.
My SIL and two nieces love Lipton's Onion Dip and I
got the notion one Christmas to make Onion Dip
from scratch.
It took me for ever to make, caramelizing the Onions first and so on... I
was so pleased with myself and it tasted really good!
When we got to their house and I put out the dip with chips
the three gals dug in, NO BUENO!
They did not care for it at all :ermm:

A dear friend of mine gave me her recipe for Caramelized Onion Dip, many years ago. I took one look at it and never really thought of it again. Apparently a family favorite of theirs, but looked like way too much work to me!

I have never used Lipton soup mix. DH has only used it to make dip.

While good soups are not hard to make, there are many reasons a person might use a soup mix. Here are a few reasons, off the top of my head:

• Staying in a hotel and the only way to heat water is a coffee maker
  • Stove isn't working, but the electric kettle is
  • Homelessness
  • It's what the person could get at the food bank
  • Single parent, working two or more jobs and doesn't have time to make soup from scratch
  • Broke and doesn't have ingredients at home

For onion dip, I mix some cream cheese and sour cream (or yogourt); add some onion powder, dry onion flakes, and fish sauce. I let it rehydrate and mingle flavours for 15-30 minutes and then adjust amounts for flavour and consistency. Easy peazy and yummy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom