Liquid smoke anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
as happens i bought some liquid smoke because it sounded like something that I might use but am now searching for a way to use it. Any ideas?

We have a propane grill, rather than a proper charcoal grill or smoker. So, when my husband preps the ground beef for hamburgers, he adds a bit of liquid smoke. It adds a really nice touch. I'm thinking of adding a bit to the cream cheese next time I make ABTs.

You have to be careful with the stuff, a little goes a long way. Try adding some to your barbecue sauce. If you’re cooking something low and slow make a basting liquid with some liquid smoke in it.

You have to be careful with the stuff, a little goes a long way. .

Definitely dont over do it. Not only is it an intense smokey flavor, but it also has a tanginess to it, so that will change the flavor as well.

Being a vegetarian, along with having a gas grill, its very difficult to achieve a nice smokey flavor when using the BBQ ( no fat dripping down to increase the flame and get a nice char- smoke flavor. If not careful, more likely to get a Burt flavor, so Ill add a few drops in whatever marinade im making so the end result will have that BBQ flavor.

In addition, ill add a few drops in chili, pea soup ( as I dont put ham or anything of the sorts in it), occasionally ill put a drop in a stir fry, as there is no way my electric stove top will achieve the same heat as that of a Chinese Restaurant wok,

I have both Hickory and Mesquite liquid smoke.

But once again, a little really does go a long way. One of those things we've all learned the hard way :LOL:

I repeat Andy - be very careful - a drop is most often all that is necessary. You can add it to anything - I was doing a huge pan of scrambled eggs once and added a drop or two. It was great!

Beef Jerky Marinade:
3 tbs. lite Soy Sauce
1 tbs. rice-wine vinegar
2 tbs. sugar
1 tsp. Hoisin Sauce
1 clove minced garlic
1 tbs. minced onion
1 tbs. sesame oil
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp. coarse-grind black pepper.
2 drops Mesquite Liquid Smoke.

Taste the marinade and adjust the flavors to your tastes.

Cut 1 lb. flank steak, or beef tri-tip against the grain into bacon thickness strios., about 4 inches long. Place into a plastic freezer bag. Pour in the marinade; massage it to coat all of the neat; and place in the fridge overnight. Next day, remove the strips to a oiled rack in a shallow baking pan. Set oven to its lowest temperature and place in the oven. Let dry in the oven until it has the consistency of jerky. You aren't really baking the jerky. You want it to just barely cook, if at all. You are drying out the meat strips. If your oven won't go below 170' F., shut it off every 20 minutes and open the oven door for about3 minutes. Then restart the oven and repeat.

Enjoy your jerky.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

hmmm sounds yummy Chief!

copied to take to DIL! I gave her my dehydrator when I realized I just wasn't using it enough. With 2 kids and one on the way - she has good use for it.

Here’s one we really like from a cookbook from a local restaurant.

Vegan Chili
1 cup onions
1 cup diced carrot
1 cup celery
1 cup green bell pepper
3 cloves garlic minced
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp dried basil

Sauté the above

1.5 qt kidney beans (cooked) or 3 cans w/ liquid
1.5 cups marinara
3 cups water

Bring above to a simmer

1/2 cup bulgur wheat
1 tsp chocolate chips
1/2 cup parsley
1/2 cup scallions
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 cup hot sauce

Add above and continue simmering 20 minutes.

Not a big fan of "Liquid Smoke", kinda tastes artificial to me... but for those of you with gas grills that miss smoke, you can buy a smoke tin (or even just use some heavy duty foil) to add wood chips to your grill. I put one directly on the "flame tamers" under one of the grates of my grill and set the burner underneath it to medium low.

I can then smoke meats long term at a low temp, or simply grill meats normally and get some smoke in their flavor. Gotta say the results are pretty good. The only disadvantage is that a lot of smoke will leak out of most gas grills (as opposed to an enclosed smoker), but that just tells the neighbors it's time to drop by and say hi. (c;

Just wanted to mention that liquid smoke is not an artificial ingredient. It's actual smoke distilled in water.

Another way to get that flavor is to use smoked paprika in the seasoning.

I use it in a cheesy cauliflower soup. If you are interested, I could post it in the Soup forum - even though it's so easy you really don't need a recipe.

Back
Top Bottom