Looking for a spice mixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
I looked through all of the forums and didn't really find the right place to put this.

I am looking for a spice mixture. It's not for meats.

When dh and I lived in Munich, Germany, we ate at this Greek restaurant every couple of weeks and they would coat their pita in olive oil, then sprinkle on this spice mixture before grilling it.

The spice mixtures I find when I google it are all for meats. I'm not convinced it's really Greek, so I didn't put it in the ethnic section. Maybe it is, though.

Does anyone have an idea of what I am looking for/ had this before?

I don't see why a spice mix used on meats couldn't also be used with olive oil on bread.

Well, good point. They just sounded so robust and this was a very delicate flavor.

I'll take your advice and look around on the internet again. Thanks!

I looked through all of the forums and didn't really find the right place to put this.

I am looking for a spice mixture. It's not for meats.

When dh and I lived in Munich, Germany, we ate at this Greek restaurant every couple of weeks and they would coat their pita in olive oil, then sprinkle on this spice mixture before grilling it.

The spice mixtures I find when I google it are all for meats. I'm not convinced it's really Greek, so I didn't put it in the ethnic section. Maybe it is, though.

Does anyone have an idea of what I am looking for/ had this before?

I Googled "Recipes for Greek Spice Mixture" and came up with dozens of them. They're pretty much all the same so the chances are good you will hit the right one. Almost all of them contain nutmeg and I know a lot of people don't like this spice. I would NOT advise leaving out the nutmeg, it makes all the difference in the world and you really can't taste it.

I Googled "Recipes for Greek Spice Mixture" and came up with dozens of them. They're pretty much all the same so the chances are good you will hit the right one. Almost all of them contain nutmeg and I know a lot of people don't like this spice. I would NOT advise leaving out the nutmeg, it makes all the difference in the world and you really can't taste it.

That's what I googled and the recipes are far too strong for the flavor that was on these pitas.

I guess I'll have to ask them the next time we're there... probably over Christmas.

I use.. garlic powder, salt, pepper, oregano, and a little onion salt mixed in olive oil.

If I have the time I saute onion and fresh garlic in olive oil to flavor the oil.
Remove the onion and garlic
and brush the pita with the flavored oil. Then spinkle with salt, pepper and oregano.
Then place the pita in a non-stick pan and heat just uniil bread starts to turn a beautiful
brown, flip and do the same on the other side.

I use.. garlic powder, salt, pepper, oregano, and a little onion salt mixed in olive oil.

If I have the time I saute onion and fresh garlic in olive oil to flavor the oil.
Remove the onion and garlic
and brush the pita with the flavored oil. Then spinkle with salt, pepper and oregano.
Then place the pita in a non-stick pan and heat just uniil bread starts to turn a beautiful
brown, flip and do the same on the other side.

This sounds like it is it. Thank you so much! I'm going to give it a try this week!

Some traditional Spices used in greek cooking.

Anise, cardamom, cinnamon, clove, coriander, cumin, curry, ginger, chile peppers, mahlab, mustard, nutmeg saffron, sumac, and vanilla.

I reccommend tasting these spices and trying to figure it out from there as far as the ratios go. When I mix my spice mixes, I always start by filling up one of the tall spice containers about 1/4 full with kosher salt, then add appropriate ingredients in the appropriate ratios. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom