Looking for Good Quality Olive Oil.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry, The unrefined oils are in fact bitterer. Americans are not used to the pure taste of olive oil, if you travel to olive oil producing countries you will find that oils taste completely different than what is sold here. The latest reports I've read about oil, do not like Italian produced oils, but do praise Spanish, California and some other producers. However those are not most common, or most reasonably priced ones you find in the store. I say stick with what you like, rather than what somebody tells you “is better”.

I say stick with what you like, rather than what somebody tells you “is better”.

I agree %100, Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on something that I have yet to try. And with so many brands/ varieties to choose from, I figured I'd get a smaller sample to try by posting this question, rather than just randomly grabbing bottles off the shelf.:)

I'll have to check our local Fairway. Didn't realize they might carry a good variety, though we have a really small store here, so maybe not.

I'm really glad that my palate is suited to less expensive olive oils. I usually get a name brand at the club store and I'm OK with that.

P.A.G. prefers Colavita EVOO. I like it ok, but prefere Carapelli, and Bertoli myself. I have some expensive olive oil, but don't find the flavor profile to be significantly better for my tastes. I don't like Pompei olive oil at all.

No one can really tell you which one is right for you. People's tongues are just built differently. Try a couple of mid-priced oils, or see if you can sample a few with crusty bread. Only you can tell what's right for you.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I was watching the "Cooking" magazine show yesterday and they did a small segment on olive oils.
He said the US was the dumping grounds for European olive oils. Oils that did not always meet the high standards in the European market.

I'm pretty sure I would not be taking advice from someone with that kind of attitude.

There are many types of olives with different flavors, just like grapes for wine, so trying "an expensive olive oil" means you've tried only one of several out there. There is a range of flavors from sweet and grassy to peppery to bitter.

An EVOO/balsamic vinegar store opened near my brother at least 10 years ago and I spent an afternoon tasting them. Talking to the owner was like talking to a wine sommelier. So much fun! Then, a few years later, a similar store opened in my area and I was thrilled that I didn't have to order it online anymore.

So if there's one near you, give it a try. It's really nice having an amazing olive oil to use for salad, pesto, etc. I don't cook with it, though. Cooking changes the flavor and it's too expensive to use it that much.

More info: A Beginner's Guide to Olives: 14 Varieties Worth Seeking Out | Serious Eats

There is an olive oil/balsamic vinegar store that opened right next door to the Savory Spice shop in Littleton (suburb south of Denver) where I get many of my herbs and spices. It makes the stop at Savory more costly and time consuming than it used to be. Fortunately we now have a 2½ drive to get there, so I don't go as often... but it's still too easy to drop a quick C bill shopping online. :wacko:

I've had unfiltered, really green olive oil that was just drizzled on crusty bread. It was from the first cold press. That stuff was heaven as a finishing oil or just as I had it, on bread. Kick myself for not bring some back.:(

I just want to get extra virgin olive oil if I'm paying for it. The olive oil business is almost as crooked as the honey business, and I stay with domestically produced olive oils (not just domestically bottled or labeled). Most of the big-name European imports and domestic importers like Whole Foods and Rachael Ray have failed testing in one way or another, the worst being adulteration with every kind of oil imaginable, including lard(!!) and the hideous substitution as a food ingredient for "olive oil" described officially as "Swill or gutter oil (refined oil from recycled food and livestock waste)."

So far as I know, all but one California EVOO passed quality testing. I also favor California Olive Ranch, the Texas oils still being real pricey.

The ancients had the same problem. That's why Roman amphora that held the reliable lines of olive oil were marked with the production location, the seller, the importer, and the name of the official who confirmed all that information. Roman imperial officials kept an eye on this, but the FDA will not protect you. They don't have the resources. You have to choose so that you know the source, otherwise it sadly looks like you can pretty much assume a high risk of fraud.

I've had unfiltered, really green olive oil that was just drizzled on crusty bread. It was from the first cold press. That stuff was heaven as a finishing oil or just as I had it, on bread. Kick myself for not bring some back.:(

Dip that bread in the first pressed EVOO, toast over fire, rub with raw garlic, and you have the original, and in my opinion, best bruschetta, which was a way to test the flavor of the oil. Mmmmmm:yum:.

Posted by Roll_Bones said:
I was watching the "Cooking" magazine show yesterday and they did a small segment on olive oils.
He said the US was the dumping grounds for European olive oils. Oils that did not always meet the high standards in the European market.
I'm pretty sure I would not be taking advice from someone with that kind of

I'm pretty sure I would not be taking advice from someone with that kind of attitude.

I am on the other end of the spectrum. I think this could be very much correct. Maybe not for the reason stated or rather different aspect of that view. Like I mentioned before the Americans have different taste for oils. Europeans might be selling us exactly what we want, but what they do not like.

I am on the other end of the spectrum. I think this could be very much correct. Maybe not for the reason stated or rather different aspect of that view. Like I mentioned before the Americans have different taste for oils. Europeans might be selling us exactly what we want, but what they do not like.

I think that's based on outdated information, but I don't much care what Europeans think of what I eat ;)

Just as with wines, craft beers, cured meats and cheeses, Americans have been discovering good quality olive oils as well. That's why the number of specialty olive oil shops has grown. And that's why I keep saying people have to go to one of these shops and taste the oils to see what they like. And not all olive oils come from Europe. Australia and South America are making good olive oils, too.

DH loves the sharp, peppery Oro Bailen Arbequino from Spain, but I like the milder, grassy Picual Robust from Peru. By the same token, he likes hoppy beers. I don't like beer of any kind because I don't like bitter flavors. He likes bleu cheese; I like Havarti. He likes red wines; I like pink and fruity whites. It's all a matter of taste and experience and I don't think all Americans like the same olive oil any more than they like the same beer or wine or cheese.

Last edited:
Since you asked for specific brands Larry, this is what I use. It has a mild earthy flavor I enjoy for both cooking and salads. Typical of Trader Joe's, it's high quality at an affordable price.

img_1405196_0_d39e148ad79a4026d6af0c9ee4fab141.jpg

I have been buying and using with success Kirklands Extra Virgin olive oil. Imported from Italy. Costco brand.

Another fan of costcos EVOO. We've actually done some taste comparisons at my house and it fares pretty well. I can also recommend their balsamic vinegar ;)

Dip that bread in the first pressed EVOO, toast over fire, rub with raw garlic, and you have the original, and in my opinion, best bruschetta, which was a way to test the flavor of the oil. Mmmmmm:yum:.

I think the raw oil is what is tested. I once saw a show that had oil tasting and it reminded me of a wine tasting.

Basically there are two types of olive oils, one for cooking and one for eating it raw, like in salads. The first one is called simply "Olive Oil", it has a yellow color. The second one is called "Extra Virgen" olive oil and is greenish, the greener the better. Both oils come from crushing olives, but the extra virgin comes from the first pressing and is the finest and therefore more expensive. The extra virgen is supposed to be eaten raw, to experience its flavor and bouquet. Of course, you can cook with it too, but heat will destroy the flavor and the bouquet and will do exactly what simple olive oil not extra virgen can do, without the extra expense. Olive oil lovers, speak of extra virgen oil only. Like, wine, coffee, tea and whiskey, there are many varieties and each has different characteristics which appeal to different people. Some prefer oil that comes from a particular single variety of olives and therefore is higher in cost. Extra virgen oil from a blend of many varieties is less expensive. The only way to find out what brand of extra virgen oil you like, is by trial and error, if it is for cooking, any olive oil type will do.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Last edited:
The colors of olive oils depend on which olive variety you're talking about. They're not all the same, and they don't all taste the same.

Back
Top Bottom