Made something today it came amazing..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4to

Senior Cook
Hey guys and gals, I have been super busy with life, so haven't had a ton of time to come and visit, but I was thinking about 'you's today...

I made a prime rip Friday night, it came great and I ate way to much, but we had about 3 lbs left, and tonight for dinner we had me, my 2 boys, and 4 other kids here for dinner, so I wanted to use the left over "hunk" of meat to make dinner for them.

I was going to do an au jus and make them some swiss melt sandwhiches, but they had sandwiches for lunch, so I kind of went in blind, I started cooking with no idea where I was heading, BUT it came AMAZING, I dont know how or why, but it was so yummy...

So I took a little of the fat from the bottom of the pan I cooked the roast in and cooked up 3 white onions, I through in a couple cups of small carrots, and some garlic...

I cut that entire 3lbs of prime rib into cubes about 1", I then boiled up some beef stock {about 4-5cups}.

I poured a cup of cooking wine over the onions and carrots, then I added a can of tomato paste, and let it cook few minutes...

Now, I had the beef stock in the dutch oven and I could tell this was going to be a lot of food so I split stock and the onion mix between to oven pans with lids.

I added the cooked beef and 1 lb of orzo to each oven pan and put them in the oven on 325...

I checked it after about an a half hour and the pasta was tender-ish but I was running low on moisture so I added a can of stewed tomatoes to each pan and let it cook about another 15 minutes...

I took it out, and called the kids for dinner, it smelt really really good, I let them try it and they were devouring it, asking what it was called, lol...

So I figured it was safe and made my self a plate, the meat was tender as could be, the veggies were just soft enough, pasta was perfect and it had a rich flavor, almost like a very well made gourmet beef stew...

Anyway I figured I would share, next week I am going to try to reproduce this in a way I can measure and make a recipe out of... Its similar to how I do my osso buco, except for almost all the ingredients, lol...

Throw in some cubed potatoes instead of orzo and ya got a deal!

I really like orzo. Mushrooms would also add great flavor to your stew. And use a more inexpensive cut, like chuck or round, or cube-steak. Braised properly, they also will melt in the mouth, and have a great, beefy flavor. Save the Standing Rib for special occasions. If you have leftovers, they can be frozen in some of the drippings.

Other than using a very good piece of meat though, I'd say that you did everything perfectly. Nice job.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom