Mario Batali

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
This guy is the man. Before I saw him compete on Iron Chef America, I had no idea he was capable of such complex flavors and presentations because you would've never gotten that from any of his previous shows. He's taken on and beaten some really great chefs, but none more so than Rick Tramonto of Chicago's Tru Restaurant. This guy, along with Grant Achatz, is arguably the 2nd best chef in Chicago behind Charlie Trotter. The fact that Tramonto even brought along Gale Gand to do his desserts basically put Mario against two great chefs. If ICA keeps going, I really do hope they change the other three (with all due respect to Morimoto, but his food is not cut out to go up against cuisine in America today), but Batali is definitely a keeper. His skill level is so far and beyond Bobby Flay it's mind blowing.

You didn't realize that Mario was more than just a pretty face, short pants showing lots of leg, and funky orange "clogs"???? :LOL:

I didn't get to see this episode, but have watched many of his other ones..He, has a way of doing things that allows the average cook like myself to be able to make his recipes and all of them are taste sensations..He has an easy way about him that makes you feel as if you were in his kitchen and he was teaching just you..I also like his way of telling you about all the different regions in Italy..Food, travel, in the comfort of you own home:)
kadesma

Really, kadesma - Mario does down to earth "peasant" or "grandma" style cooking most of the time. And that is what he promotes ... sometimes simple is the best. But - when he has to crank it up ... he does know his way around a kitchen!

Michael in FtW said:
Really, kadesma - Mario does down to earth "peasant" or "grandma" style cooking most of the time. And that is what he promotes ... sometimes simple is the best. But - when he has to crank it up ... he does know his way around a kitchen!

I'd endorse that opinion.
I used to watch him on TVFood Channel, and he always impressed me.
Then I tried a few of his recipes.Verbatim.
They also impressed me.
Thwn I bought a few of his books. MORE kudos.

he has an encyclopedia of flavours in his head, and he uses them to perfection, as far as I'm concerned.
Bravo, Molto Mario!

I honestly dont like his show on foodnetwork called Malto Mario I think? However, I do like watching him on iron chef. I think I prefer the kitchen stadium because everyone starts out with the same ingredients, yet they each have their own twist on specialties as opposed to Malto Mario show which is stricty (I think) italian.

I love Mario. Having grown up around a lot of Italian people, I can say he is definately the real thing.
Even though he cooks with a lot of exotic things that I can't get my hands on here in the sticks, I have learned a LOT about cooking from him. In fact, I've learned a lot from many of the chefs I've watched on Food Network.

Kadesma, you echoed my sentiments exactly.
I doubt I'll ever travel abroad, but if I do, Tuscony will be my destination.

Ironchef, I really don't care for Bobby Flay, and frankly, don't think much of his cooking style either. It seems that everything he cooks has to have a hot pepper in it.
Different strokes for different folks.

Thats true Constance, he does seem to be the real thing, having grown up around italians as well. Bobby Flay seems to do alot with hot peppers, but I think that is his regional cooking, much like italians use garlic and basil, etc. This is why I like watching ironchef america. They mix it up and make it challenging.

His TV shows display that he is the real deal when it comes to authentic Italian regional cooking.

It's no surprise ICA confirms his knowledge and understanding of ingredients goes beyond down home Italian cooking.

mudbug said:
I think Mario would be fun to have a beer with. I'll buy. Then he may fix my dinner.
He just finished his NASCAR book and I know a couple of people who said they hung with him one weekend when he was there promoting the book and cooking for the crowd. They said he is totally down to earth.

I would love to see Rachel Ray ~ Miss 30 Minute Meals herself try and make it on Iron Chef. That would by hysterical. I like Bobby Flay and Mario, they need to replace Kat who hardly ever wins and Morimoto. He just doesn't belong in my opinion.

He is one of the more pleasurable tv personalities to watch. I love how informative he is. I agree 100% that on ICA, he can really bring it when he needs to. Great Chef.

He's the real deal! and if you are ever in the New York Greenmarket at Union Square and see him, he's very approachable. It's fun to see him with his sons at the Coach Farms booth... the boys like to "help" at their grandparents' stand! :)

I am in total agreement here. (not that I can't learn from the others, I sure can, but Batali is the one I come back to time and time again .

The original Iron Chefs were at the begining of World Fusion cuisine and were pioneers. They had few rivals anywhere. We are now 15 or more years into that scene and there are many extremely competent competitors. Thus ICA has fewer home team wins. Aside from the hockum of the "competition", these are real master chef tests ... here is an ingedient...what can you do? and one can learn incredible amounts from watching closely. My hero is Sakai...no one can weild a knife like that!

Robo410 said:
I am in total agreement here. (not that I can't learn from the others, I sure can, but Batali is the one I come back to time and time again .

The original Iron Chefs were at the begining of World Fusion cuisine and were pioneers. They had few rivals anywhere. We are now 15 or more years into that scene and there are many extremely competent competitors. Thus ICA has fewer home team wins. Aside from the hockum of the "competition", these are real master chef tests ... here is an ingedient...what can you do? and one can learn incredible amounts from watching closely. My hero is Sakai...no one can weild a knife like that!

The main problem is that the best chefs aren't being represented; it's the best chefs that are under contract with FoodTV. If it was about the best chefs then we'd see guys like Daniel Boloud, Eric Ripert, and Charlie Trotter as Iron Chefs.

i like mario b. as well... he IS the man, and he's a lot of fun to watch on tv.

he beat the two from chicago, but chef john b from NOLA's restaurant august did a good job against mario.

john b worked that andouille sausage in some very weird ways.

ironchef said:
The main problem is that the best chefs aren't being represented; it's the best chefs that are under contract with FoodTV. If it was about the best chefs then we'd see guys like Daniel Boloud, Eric Ripert, and Charlie Trotter as Iron Chefs.

why aren't we seeing them as challengers?

it takes a certain amount of nerve to compete, not just skill.

also, hey IronChef,

what is mario batali's recipe for a basic marinara sauce? can you hook me up with it?

or his basic recipe for bolognese sauce?

Cheers

Mylegsbig said:
why aren't we seeing them as challengers?

it takes a certain amount of nerve to compete, not just skill.

Those are just a few examples. Chefs like Kerry Simon, Anita Lo, and Laurent Tourondel have come on the show and beaten Flay, Cora, etc. In some cases the battles weren't even close. I remember Flay losing a battle by over 10 points. Again, those are only 3 names. There have been others.

The only chef who has consistently beaten the top guys is Batali.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom