Marmalade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desmond

Washing Up
Hi I love cooking spicy food and have created banquets for over 60 people. However.

My next door neighbour makes home made jam and marmalade. I would love to try making marmalade any ideas please.

How long would it take. Fresh oranges or not? Any help would be useful.

If you want to do it the traditional (long-winded)way have a look at this

Seville orange marmalade | BBC Good Food

It does take a long time because of cooking the peel. Seville oranges only have a short season and are usually available in January.

Having said that, I'm with Bethzaring. MaMade makes lovely marmalade in a fraction of the time because the oranges are cooked for you. As far as I'm concerned it's not cheating.

It's kind of Craig to point you at the canning site but if you make marmalade properly and seal the jars properly you don't really need to can it as well. I'm in the UK and we never can jams and marmalade and no-ones died yet as a result of my preserves.

Thanks for this. Not as difficult as I expected.

4 Seville oranges (about 500g/1lb 2oz in total), scrubbed
1.7l water
1kg granulated sugar

Makes:
3 x 450g/1lb jars marmalade, plus 1 x 100g/3½oz jar Good yield.

Is there anything else I could make the marmalade out of?

I haven't but I bet it would be good. I think marmalade is usually made from citrus peel, mango would be more of a jam. You could try a combo of citrus and mango, that would be tasty.

Last edited:
Whatever you do, do not try Onion Marmalade, you won't ever have time to cook up something else.

Mango jam sounds heavenly doesn't it? I'm thinking mango-lime jam would be wonderful. Or peach-mango-lime jam. Hmmm. Must look for mangos when they go on sale.

Last edited:
Mango jam sounds heavenly doesn't it? I'm thinking mango-lime jam would be wonderful. Or peach-mango-lime jam. Hmmm. Must look for mangos when they go on sale.

We got locally made (by a couple of people on the island we lived on) guava, pineapple and papaya jams (never saw any mango jam, even though there were lots of mango trees on the island) when we lived in the Bahamas. They were usually available in the local grocery stores, but not exported, not even to the other islands. They also made pepper sauce with locally grown peppers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom