mashed potato spices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
I'm just curious here. Back when I lived in Buffalo, NY i was able to buy a packet of spices that you dump into your mashed potatoes and they tasted pretty darn good.

I can't find anything like that here in Colorado and have had to resort to fiddling with the spices of my own. The results have been less than spectacular.

There's such a wide variety of flavors in the insta-potato category but we just refuse to eat instant potatoes.

Hi Mr. Dove,

I've never even heard of a packet of spices for mashed potatoes. I have heard of people using the dry ranch dressing mix. I'm sure that would be good. Where there herbs along with spices in the packet? Beef base or chicken base does wonders as does freshly grated Parmesan cheese, or goat cheese, or cream cheese and chives.

Anymore of a description you can give or a flavor you are lookin for? Also, what have you tried that you didn't like.

At the moment I can say that the mix was a mostly white powder with flecks of green herbs in it.

I presume it had parmesean, garlic or onion, parsley, salt and probably some other things in it.

i'm with andy on this one. go with the garlic and onion powders.
i use them all of the time in and on my potatoes. i happen to love instant mashed potates, so i add the garlic and onion, plus scallions or chives, plus fresh-cracked black pepper and seasalt, to those AND real mashed taters. i'm not above instant potatoes.

I have never seen the spice either but I'd sure give it a try if it can be found.
PS Thank you for your explanation of your name..another thing we have in common is that I was born in Colorado...
Marge~Dove

I like mine with just salt and pepper. Sometimes I add roasted garlic. Onion powder would be a great addition too though.

When ever we have mashed potatoes, my kids always ask for garlic mashed..I put about 1-1/2 cups of heavy cream in a small pot, add two whole heads of peeled garlic, bring to almost a boil, lower the heat and let them cook til the garlic is so soft you can mash it easily with a fork, I then dump it into my potatoes add a cube or so of butter, depending on how much you like, and whip them adding some grey or kosher salt and fresh craked black pepper.....I never have any left overs, darn it :)
kadesma:ohmy:

Where I work, we just add salt, pepper, minced garlic, and cream to mashed yukon golds.

At home, I've been known to add roasted garlic puree, or a combo of a little bit of pureed chipotles in adobo and some cheddar cheese.

Don't forget that you can add Horseradish and or either sour cream.
Jim

I saw a site online where you can by packet for mashed potatoes and got all excited. Thought I would be able to give you the answer you wanted, but when I clicked on the site it said that the site is temporarily not working and if you are the owner of the site to get in touch with someone. I think the people didn't pay their bill. tsk tsk

kadesma said:
When ever we have mashed potatoes, my kids always ask for garlic mashed..I put about 1-1/2 cups of heavy cream in a small pot, add two whole heads of peeled garlic, bring to almost a boil, lower the heat and let them cook til the garlic is so soft you can mash it easily with a fork, I then dump it into my potatoes add a cube or so of butter, depending on how much you like, and whip them adding some grey or kosher salt and fresh craked black pepper.....I never have any left overs, darn it :)
kadesma:ohmy:

yum! i like to add heavy cream to my taters, too. i'll have to try them with all that yummy garlic.

like jim said, you can add horseradish. i like to add a bunch of black pepper after adding horseradish.

wasabi is really good, too. i just add the powder straight to the potatoes.

And my family just like a little butter and milk added :( Garlic potatoes are sooooo good.

luvs_food said:
yum! i like to add heavy cream to my taters, too. i'll have to try them with all that yummy garlic.
I like it this way as the garlic is sweet and doesn't give off that HOT RAW taste..Just sweet and smooth:) And the cream does just that makes them smooth and creamy:)
kadesma

kleenex said:
Jalapeno powder would work.

Just the person I want to talk with. How much jalapeno powder equals one pepper?
Any ideas about other powders?
Sour Cream,
Worcestershire Sauce,
Lemon Peel granules?

See my previous post here

Back
Top Bottom