Massive block of chicken to defrost.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry - guess I'm just repeating everything that has already been said...

You shouldn't thaw directly in water in the first place. They should be encased in a plastic bag.
You will have to set a timer. Then test and pull off - still inside the plastic bag - the breasts as they loosen. Remove those and rewrap. Wear plastic bags or gloves yourself so you don't contaminate.

LOL -Your butt must be pretty strong if it gets thru the plastic bag- or are you worried about you picking up a few feathers from the chicken? :LOL:

60 lbs at 10 lb ea. - you have 5 others than can take a turn next time!

You get this from work? How do you defrost it at work?

Perhaps ;) , but I still have to be the one to get it. Its not used at work, limited time sale on product from other plants. Work for a meat processing facility, though we do nothing chicken related at this plant, it gets shipped in from other plants at times.

Defrosting it unattended in a fridge with the temp turned up is a very bad idea. You will need to constantly monitor the temp to make sure it doesn't go above 40.

Water bath in the tub is really the only reasonable way to do this.

But then frozen chicken that's thawed and refrozen isn't going to be that great anyway ...

Then I think you have a problem...

Then again..... you could also buy a large bucket/container/storage box in plastic and do the same thing. Your cost could either be shared withthe others or look at it as an investment should you ever decide to do it again.

Leave it frozen til the day before you have a couple of days off. If it is that big you should not have any worries for 12 hours or so. The coldness will keep the water chilled plenty at the beginning and I seriously doubt you will have any issues. (unless your temperatures at the moment are into the 90's - then think of it as a bonus for cooling the house.)

Last but not least, cover a room in plastic drop sheets and get out the chainsaw!

Next time I bet you'll think twice before a sweet deal like that. :LOL:

Good Luck and let us know what happens!

Defrosting it unattended in a fridge with the temp turned up is a very bad idea. You will need to constantly monitor the temp to make sure it doesn't go above 40.

Water bath in the tub is really the only reasonable way to do this.

But then frozen chicken that's thawed and refrozen isn't going to be that great anyway ...

I have a thermo and check it daily to ensure it doesn't go over 40. It was closer to 30 when I first put it in.

Then I think you have a problem...

Then again..... you could also buy a large bucket/container/storage box in plastic and do the same thing. Your cost could either be shared withthe others or look at it as an investment should you ever decide to do it again.

Leave it frozen til the day before you have a couple of days off. If it is that big you should not have any worries for 12 hours or so. The coldness will keep the water chilled plenty at the beginning and I seriously doubt you will have any issues. (unless your temperatures at the moment are into the 90's - then think of it as a bonus for cooling the house.)

Last but not least, cover a room in plastic drop sheets and get out the chainsaw!

Next time I bet you'll think twice before a sweet deal like that. :LOL:

Good Luck and let us know what happens!

I knew what it was before I got it, I was expecting/planning at least a week long fridge defrost. So thats not much of a worry. might consider a waterbath on the weeked, if I don't see much change by then. First time i'll have defrosted a mass, so it'll be a learning event for me.

Last edited:
People thaw (as recommended) 20+ pound turkeys in the fridge and that takes at least 4 or 5 days. In this case, if he just peels off the pieces as they become loose enough, I think it's safer than it would be with a large turkey.

I don't understand all of the resistance to doing it this way. It's not like he turned the fridge up to 60° or something. The frozen block of chicken will go a long way toward self cooling anyway.

People thaw (as recommended) 20+ pound turkeys in the fridge and that takes at least 4 or 5 days. In this case, if he just peels off the pieces as they become loose enough, I think it's safer than it would be with a large turkey.

I don't understand all of the resistance to doing it this way. It's not like he turned the fridge up to 60° or something. The frozen block of chicken will go a long way toward self cooling anyway.

I think that is part of why I had to turn up the fridge temp, the chicken is doing a good amount of the cooling right now.

I don't think anyone resisted that idea. The OP asked how best to do it and we offered suggestions, none of which the OP is interested in. We don't actually know what temperature s/he turned it up to.

I have to agree, Rick. I would also probably thaw it as I do 20 lb turkeys. I wouldn't mess with the fridge temp much, then peel as you go, or dig/chisel off pieces.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone resisted that idea. The OP asked how best to do it and we offered suggestions, none of which the OP is interested in. We don't actually know what temperature s/he turned it up to.

The ideas were fine, but not workable for my current situation. I don't have any free time until the weekend to work with it, which sorta limits me to the fridge thaw method for a week at least anyway. I've only used water baths for 30 minute quick thawing to use immediately after as of yet.

Not resistant but because water is a much better thermal conductor than air, IMO the "best" way to thaw all that chicken is with a water bath.

It may not be the most practical but its the fastest and most efficient.

the safest way would be defrosting in the refrigerator. Then you can re-freeze it. I'd still go with the idea to break as much of as possible as the chicken gets defrosted. Pulling off the top layer you are opening the next layer for more defrosting. No matter how you look at this, you have more than one day project on your hands.

They are close to releasing a few, I'll address those tomorrow. I doubt the bottom has any remotly at any stage other than Iceblock'o'chicken! Heh. Again folks, thanks for the ideas, I'd considered the water bath, had my schedule been different I coulda done it.

Right on at a week interestingly the bottom was more thawed than the top... hmm. Curious. I'd have thought the upper area would that more. Was thawed enough to pry apart.

What a lot of work! I sure hope those 10 lb. packages are going right back in a freezer immediately.
Just sayin'...

Yep, bagged and back into the freezer, 20LBs has been picked up by folks. another 15 is getting delivered today.

Of course, its not a perfect 5lbs a bag. some over, some under. *shrugs* what can ya do with breasts? varied sizes/weights.

Back
Top Bottom