Math problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've always heard it's better to be lucky than to be smart. Unfortunately I wasn't smart enough to have been born with good luck.

I'm usually pretty creative (which is one of the reasons I like cooking) but my creativeness has been on the blink lately. At least math always works.

We all have our quirks...makes life interesting...and some of us just plain goofy!:wacko:

When combining two layers into one layer, recipe baking time may be less reliable than usual. Internal temperature for most cakes will be about 200F.

Gourmet Greg said:
Well it took me 10 minutes to math it out, and it took you probably 2-3 seconds to intuit it out, so that tells you which is better. :)

But what if you wanted a single layer round cake? :)

Actually I can intuit the answer to that one! You want one that's 1.42 times bigger, about 13 inches diameter. That number is the square root of 2. :D

ETA: I was writing my reply while Andy posted his (probably intuitive) reply. The exact answer is 12.78 inches. I gotta try that intuitive stuff. It definitely works faster than math.

Oh keep doing the math Greg. It keeps your mind sharp! Besides the rest of u's are impressed! ;)

Unfortunately analysis is overrated and intuitiveness is the desired skill. Fortunately my intuitiveness manifests itself best in my cooking. In spite of my tacking a math problem on a food forum. I've always sought intuitive interests such as food and art to counter my rigid engineering occupation (now retired, no good use for those logical skills now).

I'll cook. If I can't feed others at least I can enjoy feeding myself. Intuitively. Logic helpful but not required.

Last edited:
Actually the answer contains another factor because it's the volume that's constant not the area. The factor is SQRT(new pan batter height /old pan batter height) which if we assume the two are the same then it doesn't matter. Ahhh
I will try a 12" pan and see how it goes or half the ingredients for one pan

Gator I'm pretty sure you at least implied that you didn't want the height to be increased. Otherwise you could have just gotten a taller 9" pan.

How about you just tell us what you want? We won't get anywhere helping you if we all just assume.

Make it in a bigger rectangular pan, then cut it in half, frost and stack it, and you'll end up with a nice rectangular cake. IMO round cakes are overrated. They don't have any corners where frosting lovers can get a double dose. Round cakes are too fair. There's nothing to be had if you're first or last.

Or even better, make tipsy trifle. Get your guests drunk and they won't care what shape cake you served.

Last edited:
I've always sought intuitive interests such as food and art to counter my rigid engineering occupation (now retired, no good use for those logical skills now).

I'll cook. If I can't feed others at least I can enjoy feeding myself. Intuitively. Logic helpful but not required.

My father is retired from civil engineering :) I always think he is the smartest man I know, a bit prejudiced but.... :)

I like to think that my logical engineering side of my brain is countered by the other intuitive creative side of my brain. My engineering career is over so if I can't take up the slack with intuitiveness then I might as well give it up.

As far as I know cooking is mostly intuitive. This is why I like cooking so much, because I can give up my logic and just drown myself in intuitive creativeness.

Last edited:
I like to think that my logical engineering side of my brain is countered by the other intuitive creative side of my brain. My engineering career is over so if I can't take up the slack with intuitiveness then I might as well give it up.
What? I've been misled--I thought the only way for an engineer to stop being an engineer was to die, not retire...here's a link you might like if you haven't stumbled across it already:

Cooking For Engineers - Step by Step Recipes and Food for the Analytically Minded

CWS, I totally reject that Cooking for Engineers site. I looked at it once, years ago. I hate step by step recipes where each step is described in excruciating detail, complete with multiple pictures.

I completely disagree that an engineer cannot stop being one. I'm burned out on the analytic stuff. I'm sorry I brought it up.

When I'm cooking I'm using the opposite side of my brain, my intuitive/artistic side. There's no need to analyze or justify anything. Cooking liberates my mind!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom