Measurements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy M. said:
Yes, but...

Be careful what you apply this to. It works well with water based liquids, not so well with dry goods. e.g. a pint of flour is closer to a half pound.
This is exactly so. In fact the same problem was discussed earlier in a thread started by Gobo only he was talking about millimeters and grams. When you use volume measurements to express quantity of liquids, powders, grains, etc. the same volume of different substances will have different weights. As several members mentioned in the earlier thread, using a volume measure to express quantity of liquids, powders, and grains may be convenient in practice but it will lead to confusion when equivalences between volume and weight that are true for some substances are not so for most others.

I am guessing all this got started because of the l-5/8 cup of water to be used for the Bread Recipe? And we have solved it: 5/8 cup = 10 tablespoons or 30 teaspoons...says Andy. Another input: 5/8 cup =
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons. Yes? And all plan to meet in Greece at boufao6 and have ouzo.

When making my bread Aria, I decided that I was just going to go with 1.5 cups of water instead of 1 5/8. It has worked perfectly for me.

have you ever thought about 148ml?
19.gif

GB...if it works for you great. I tend to follow close. And the loaf is a SMALL one. And I like to use some flour when I handle the dough. With the extra moisture....this may help. I have made the loaf many times and it works for me. Yesterday I used 2 cups bread flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour. The bread was fine as usual...but less holey.

Cara nice to know about ml ....how many ml = one cup?

Back
Top Bottom