Meat Discoloration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garband

Cook
I'm not exactly sure where to put this, so if this in the wrong spot.. Sorry. :ermm:

I'm not sure how to describe it.. But, on the steaks I cooked tonight there was a lot of discoloration. The first word that comes to mind is a "chemical" type of coloring.. Shiny, rainbow-ish... And it stayed after the meat was cooked.

I don't have any clue what this is/safe to eat.. So your help is appreciated. :]

I agree with Alix, I'd think there might be an off smell about the meat..I would NOT eat it.
kadesma

I agree with all of the above. This meat is definitely contaminated. Don't eat it and wash all the pans, utensils, etc. you used to cook it (anything that touched it raw or cooked) very well. Sanitize in the dishwasher or with a mild bleach solution.

sounds like silverskiin. it's connective tisssue, (elastin), that doesn't break down even during cooking. was it a larger cut of meat??
shoula been removed by a butcher.

sounds like silverskiin. it's connective tisssue, (elastin), that doesn't break down even during cooking. was it a larger cut of meat??
shoula been removed by a butcher.
It was pretty small. A bunch of pan steaks.

Here is a technical article that states this is a physical phenomenon that has nothing to do with contamination or rotting.
Thanks. :] I thought of Googling it, but decided I'd get better, real-world answers here rather than a bunch of scientific stuff. :)

Thanks for all the replies... I was sort of worried as I started reading because me (and my family) quickly consumed the steaks, and I'm not a fan of food-borne illnesses. lol :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom