Meat thermometer in a slow-cooker safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
I am cooking 2 corned beef roasts today, one to be eaten tonight and one to turned into sandsich meat with an electric slicer, so I went ahead and threw them both in the slow cooker. I've never bothered to check temp in a slow cooker because if it's fork-tender, it's obviously done.

I obviously don't want to cook the sandwich roast until it's falling apart or I won't be ablt to slice it. My dad suggested I pull it out at medium and I'm wondering if it's safe to leave my meat thermometer in with all the steam. Of course I've used it in the oven before, but an oven doesn't trap moisture the way a slow-cooker does.

Will the moisture damage my thermometer? Thank you in advance!

Sprout, the problem with leaving the meat thermometer in (I am assuming it is the kind where you put the probe in the meat and the base is on the counter) is that it will break the all important seal on the lid. That seal is what keeps the steam and heat in and controls the even cooking process.

If you are using a thermometer that you just place in the meat, I would be worried that the steam and heat would damage it.

Those are just off the top of my head though.

I think if your poke-in, no wire thermometer is dishwasher safe, then it should be OK in the CP. I have one that is. If you have the other kind, I agree with LP, you want that lid to stay sealed.

Last edited:
I have a problem with taking a brisket out at medium. It's a tough cut that benefits from low slow cooking until the connective tissues have broken down to make it tender.

The brisket that you want for slicing can be completely cooked (just fork tender) then refrigerated. If you slice it cold, it should hold together. If the brisket crumbles into shreds, it's been cooked more than necessary to tenderize it.

Agree Andy. Cook it all the way and slice it cold. You can return the sliced meat to the cooking liquid to warm or use a microwave.

For the record, I like my corned beef sandwiches hot with rye bread and deli mustard.
Sounds very good there sprout.

Andy, I was thinking the same thing. My dad has a lot more experience with meat than I do (and cooking in general, of course) so I was trusting his opinion, but he'll be the first to admit he's not perfect.

I checked the temp just over an hour in and it read 142, so I pulled out the roast and let it rest for a few. I then cut out a sample from the center and use my sharpest knife to cut a very thin slice across the grain. It would have been tolerable for sandwiches, but not ideal and the kiddos would have struggled with it. It's back in the slow-cooker now. I think I'll shoot for tender enough to be pulled apart by a fork but not fall-apart tender.

As Andy said, if you cool it in the fridge completely before slicing it for sandwiches, it will slice nicely, even cooked to fork tender.

My thermometer isn't dishwasher (or dishwater) safe so that's why I said no. I will have to look for a new on that is.

Back
Top Bottom