Mexican Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you have to know where to go. I've had great, authentic Mexican food from a taco truck in a parking lot in Chico, CA, and a restaurant in Auberry, CA, where I had chile verde for the first time. There's a wonderful restaurant here owned by two Bolivian sisters. Their beef tamales taste just like the ones I made from Rick Bayless' book. Now I want some lol

Nearly all of the restaurants in this town are authentic Mexican and all are family operated without one being a chain. If you want authentic Mexican food this is the place, with lengua taco's and burrito's being the norm. People have always come from all over the area to eat Mexican food in our little town of Santa Paula!

Last edited:
The first time I went a Mexican restaurant, some 20 years ago, soon after I came to US, made me sick, I was in bed for 3 days. I still do not like Mexican food, though I do make it and do eat it.

The first time I went a Mexican restaurant, some 20 years ago, soon after I came to US, made me sick, I was in bed for 3 days. I still do not like Mexican food, though I do make it and do eat it.

Sounds like my daddy. He's allergic to garlic and so is afraid of Mexican food. We never had it in our house growing up which is probably why I love it so much.

What is it that makes you sick? Can you make a substitution or leave the offending ingredient out entirely? I do this all of the time for my hubby who has a tender tummy.

I am not allergic to anything, Thank G-d; I just do not like it. I do not like beans, I do not like coriander. I just do not like it. I make it because my wife grew up with it and she likes it. And so when i make it, I just eat it, but I'd for buckwheat kasha versus refried beans on any given day. As my father says even pigs do not eat beans. Interesting if it is true or not?

Has anyone noticed that this thread was started in February and the OP has never posted again?

Too funny. And so many people here have posted such good advice. Oh well, it happens sometimes. I am sure there are others who have learned from the thread. I made tamales once with a friend. They were really good, but a lot of work. Now Hubby brings tamales home that he buys from "The Tamales Lady" who travels around downtown Colorado Springs selling her tamales. He has bought these from her for many years. :yum: I just make the sides to go with them, and we are all set. :yum:

Too funny. And so many people here have posted such good advice. Oh well, it happens sometimes. I am sure there are others who have learned from the thread. I made tamales once with a friend. They were really good, but a lot of work. Now Hubby brings tamales home that he buys from "The Tamales Lady" who travels around downtown Colorado Springs selling her tamales. He has bought these from her for many years. :yum: I just make the sides to go with them, and we are all set. :yum:

I made tamales for the first time this year and I was so very proud. It took three days doing it by myself but it was worth it

I only did it by myself once...since then I've always made sure I had help. One of my aides and I do them up every December. 40 pounds of pork, 20 pounds of chicken. Takes us two days and we split the batches in half. Love Tamales!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom