Milk curdling when making bolognese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyperion

Senior Cook
I have made bolognese sauce a couple of times, but every time when I put the milk in it'll curdle! no matter how slowly I apply heat to the sauce. I think it's because of the wine in the sauce, but I can't avoid wine when making bolognese. What's your trick of avoiding curdling?

Both acids and heat will curdle milk. The milk proteins will tighten up into curds when the milk approaches 160' F. And acids immediately cause the same effect. Think cheese. When the organizms in the cheese culture eat the milk sugars, they produce acid. The acid reacts with the protein and forms curds. The whey is drained and the curds are washed before they are made into cheese.

Using cream will give you butterfat and very little protien. The flavor will be richer than with milk as well.

Questions; does your bolognese have to have dairy in it? Could you substitute something like cream cheese, or Creme' Fresche for the milk or cream?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Questions; does your bolognese have to have dairy in it?

Real Bolognese sauce by definition has milk or cream in it.

If it curdles, it's the recipe or technique.

Marcella Hazan's recipe is terrific. She adds the milk to the meat right after browning and simmers it until nearly cooked away before adding the acidic ingredients.

Last edited:
Questions; does your bolognese have to have dairy in it?

Real Bolognese sauce by definition has milk or cream in it.

If it curdles, it's the recipe or technique.

Marcella Hazan's recipe is terrific. She adds the milk to the meat right after browning and simmers it until nearly cooked away before adding the acidic ingredients.
yea that might work... I'll try next time
by the way I realized that cutting up lasagna seems to be a good way to make tagliatelle lol

Back
Top Bottom