Mint Leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SHAMALICIOUS

Senior Cook
I have a growing abundance of mint in my garden! Which is all good if you know what to do with it lol. I only use them to make tea or i use them for garnishing, other than that, i dont know what i can do :ermm: . And it seems such a waste for all that mint to be sitting there doing nothing :rolleyes: . So if anyone has any ideas, :)

There are as many of these recipes as there are people on earth but this is a good one.

Mojito - 1 serving

3 fresh mint sprigs
2 tsp sugar
3 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 1/2 oz rum
club soda

In a tall thin glass, crush part of the mint with a fork to coat the inside. Add the sugar and lime juice and stir thoroughly. Top with ice. Add rum and mix. Top off with chilled club soda. Add a lemon/lime slice and the remaining mint, and serve.

Tabbouli is another good use for mint.

Last edited:
I cant have alcohol, suppose i could always exchange the rum for more soda, it wouldnt quite the same i guess, but still :eek:)

daisy said:
Add mint when cooking peas. Add some to a potato salad. Bake fish on a bed of mint. Use mint instead of rosemary when roasting a leg of lamb. Add mint to the gravy to serve with roast lamb. Chop mint finely and sprinkle it into a bowl of strawberries. Mint goes well with a lot of veges, including beans, zucchini, tomatoes, potatoes (try new potatoes boiled, then coated with butter and mint - to die for). Coat mint leaves with melted chocolate, and serve as an after-dinner treat, or use to decorate cakes etc. Add mint to stuffings for lamb, fish. Freeze mint leaves whole in some fruit juice, and use the ice blocks to float in a fruit punch. In stinking-hot summer weather, keep a jug of water in the fridge, in which you have placed a large sprig of mint. Very, very refreshing.

Goes well with: Meat, fish, vegetables, salads, fruit salads, stewed pears/apples. Use in lamb dishes, jellies, with cold cuts, cheese, peas, Middle Eastern dishes.

Tabouleh
3/4 cup bulghur (cracked wheat), medium or fine
3/4 cup water
2 large bunches parsley
large bunch mint
4 green onions
juice of 2 lemons
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup olive oil
2 large, ripe tomatoes

Place cracked wheat and water in a large bowl and set aside to soak for one hour. Stem off the parsley, mint and onions, wash thoroughly and chop very fine. Squeeze cracked wheat between the hands to remove excess water. Return to the bowl and add the greens. Add lemon juice, salt and olive oil, adjusting the amounts to your liking. Dice one tomato and add it to the salad. Slice the second tomato to use in decorating the dish. Serve on a bed of lettuce.

Apple Mint Jelly
1kg green apples
1.25 litres water
juice of 2 lemons,
sugar
1 bunch of mint, chopped
1 large bunch apple mint, chopped
green food colouring (optional)

Chop apples without peeling, place in a saucepan with water and lemon juice. Bring to the boil and cook until fruit is soft. Strain through muslin overnight. Next day measure juice and for each 625ml juice add 500g sugar. Add the mint and stir constantly over heat until sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and boil briskly until setting point is reached. Add a little green food colouring if desired. Bottle and seal.

Mint Pesto Brownies
6 tablespoons butter
60g unsweetened baking chocolate
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup mint pesto

Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly butter the bottom only of a 20cm square baking pan. Melt the butter and chocolate together until smooth. Stir in sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla then lightly stir in the flour. Turn batter into prepared pan. Pipe lines of pesto going one direction and then run a knife through the lines in the opposite direction to swirl. Bake for about 25 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. For best results, allow to cool completely before cutting.

Mint Pesto:
1/2 cup macadamia nuts
2 cups fresh mint leaves, packed
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon vanilla

In a food processor, briefly chop the nuts before adding the remaining ingredients. Puree until reduced to a paste. If not using right away, transfer to a glass container, lay plastic wrap over the top so it is touching thus keeping air from penetrating the pesto. Store in refrigerator for up to a month. Use as a filling for sandwich cookies or mix some into chocolate sauce for ice cream or cake.

Mint Pesto Brownies
6 tablespoons butter
60g unsweetened baking chocolate
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup mint pesto

Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly butter the bottom only of a 20cm square baking pan. Melt the butter and chocolate together until smooth. Stir in sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla then lightly stir in the flour. Turn batter into prepared pan. Pipe lines of pesto going one direction and then run a knife through the lines in the opposite direction to swirl. Bake for about 25 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. For best results, allow to cool completely before cutting.

Mint Pesto:
1/2 cup macadamia nuts
2 cups fresh mint leaves, packed
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon vanilla

In a food processor, briefly chop the nuts before adding the remaining ingredients. Puree until reduced to a paste. If not using right away, transfer to a glass container, lay plastic wrap over the top so it is touching thus keeping air from penetrating the pesto. Store in refrigerator for up to a month. Use as a filling for sandwich cookies or mix some into chocolate sauce for ice cream or cake.

Mint Sauce [the classic sauce to serve with roast lamb]
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon boiling water
1/2 cup vinegar

Wash and dry the mint, remove stalks, chop finely and add sugar. Pour in the boiling water. Add vinegar and stir well. Serve with roast lamb. [Note: if you combine the leaves and sugar first, it will make the leaves easier to chop, so they don't cling to the cutters or knife.]

Minted Baked Tomatoes
2 tomatoes
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 teaspoons finely chopped mint
salt and pepper to taste
pinch sugar
2 cups breadcrumbs
1-2 teaspoons butter

Cut tomatoes in halves and scoop out the centres into a bowl. Add shallot, mint, salt, pepper and sugar, stir to combine, then spoon mixture into the tomato shells. Top with breadcrumbs, then dot with butter. Bake in a greased dish at 180°C for about 20 minutes. Serve as an entrée, or with grilled meats.

Meatballs with Mint [nice with or without the sauce, and you can use other meats]
600g minced lamb
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon oil
60g finely chopped onion
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
3 tablespoons chopped mint

Put the meat into a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a saucepan and saute the onion until lightly coloured. Stir the onion into the meat. Add the herbs and mix well. Form into small balls, place on a greased baking tray and bake for 25 minutes at 180°C, turning once or twice. Or the meatballs may be cooked in a frypan. Serve with Yoghurt and Mint Sauce.

Yoghurt and Mint Sauce
300ml plain yoghurt
1 cucumber, peeled and coarsely grated
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
salt and pepper
24 mint leaves

Beat the yoghurt until smooth. Squeeze excess moisture from the cucumber between the hands. Puree the yoghurt, cucumber and garlic together in a blender with the salt, pepper and mint. Refrigerate. Quantities may be halved if desired. Serve with hot or cold roast lamb, grilled chops, over hot boiled new potatoes.

Aww wow! Thanks a bunchhhhh!! :)

Mint and Cilantro Chutney

You can make this and freeze it ahead of time. You can use it on everything from grilled fish to chicken or with kebabs. You can mix some with plain yogurt for a delicious dipping sauce.

Recipe can be doubled or tripled.

4 cups of mint (remove them from stems)
2 cups of cilantro (fresh corrainder leaves)
2 green chilis
salt to taste
juice of 3 limes
6 cloves of garlic
2 tsp of freshly roasted and ground cumin

Add all of this to a blend and blend it until smooth.

One of the things my family loves is a pot poast with lots of gravy, so when I make one I don't always add lots of veggies, instead, I cook the roast til it starts to fall apart, then add several bunches of fresh mint,this is at the last say 10 minutes of cooking, leave it in the gravey, I then cut thick slices of french bread and we ladle the meat and mint flavored gravey over buttered bread, and I have some uncook mint on the table for those who want more..We do add some red wine to the gravy, but you don't have to, just use plenty of onion and garlic and MINT!!!
kadesma:)

Many Asian dishes use mint leaves, especially Thai and Malyasian.
Here is my favourite Thai Beef Salad:

Serves 4

500 g Beef Fillet
1 Red Onion, finely sliced
1/2 Cucumber cut into thin ribbons
1 Lemongrass Stalk, finely chopped
3 to 4 cloves Garlic
Juice 2 Limes
2 Tbsps Fish Sauce
3 Tbsps Fresh chopped Coriander Leaves ( Cilantro)
2 Tbsps Fresh chopped Mint Leaves
1 Tbsp Sugar ( Palm sugar if possible)
2 to 4 Fresh Red Chillies, finely sliced
Fresh Coriander and Mint Leaves to garnish.

Remove sinew and fat from the meat and cook until medium rare. Remove from heat and leave to stand 10 to 15 minutes.
When cool, thinly slice beef and put into a large glass bowl. Add onion, cucumber and lemongrass.
Into food processor place garlic, lime juice, fish sauce, chopped mint and coriander, sugar. Process. Toss the dressing with the beef. Add the fresh chillies, reserve a few to scatter over salad.

I like to serve this on a bed of iceberg lettuce, and I often add 1/2'd cocktail tomato's. Strew some sprigs of mint and coriander through the lettuce, pile salad on top, scatter more herb sprigs and some sliced red chilli on top.

Enjoy!!!:)

How about making Mint Jelly, for lamb chops and such? Just an idea, I don't have a recipe for it though.

I keep mint around all the time, I like to put a sprig or two into my smoothies that I make for breakfast. Just blend it up with the rest of the fruits and it gives a nice fresh taste, but ever so subtle.

You can dry the leaves (just lay them out, washed, on a paper towel) then bottle them and have them to add to various things once summer is over.

In Greece mint is always used in savory dishes, never in sweets (the idea of which the Greeks actually find revolting!). Probably the only place I use them is in stuffed tomatoes/zucchini/dolmades which we always make a huge pan of. The stuffing is basically just onion, oil, ground beef, and rice, with fresh parsley and usually-dried mint added in for flavor.

Truly delicious and can't imagine it without ... even though it's a far cry from the mint-chocolate-chip ice cream I grew up with!

I enjoy adding it to salads. I had a nice salad with chicken, cranberries, nuts, mint, lettuce, and tons of other salad thngs. The mint made the salad very refreshing.

I just tried this recipe for nutella ravioli from Everyday Italian. It's garnished with mint leaves. Not a huge use, but the mint is surprisingly delicious paired with nutella! who'd a thunk...

Chocolate-Hazelnut Ravioli

16 wonton wrappers
1 egg, beaten to blend
1 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread (recommended: Nutella)
Vegetable oil, for frying
16 fresh mint leaves
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
Granulated sugar, for dredging
Powdered sugar, for dusting

Line a baking sheet with plastic wrap. Place 1 wonton wrapper on the work surface. Brush the edges of the wrapper lightly with egg. Spoon 1 tablespoon of chocolate-hazelnut spread into the center of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper diagonally in half over the filling and press the edges of the wrapper to seal. Place the ravioli on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining wonton wrappers, egg, and chocolate-hazelnut spread. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F. Add enough oil to a heavy large frying pan to reach a depth of 2 inches. Heat the oil over medium heat to 350 degrees F.

Working in batches, carefully add the ravioli to the hot oil and cook until they are golden brown, about 45 seconds per side. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the ravioli to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Then, transfer the cooked ravioli to another baking sheet and keep them warm in the oven while frying the remaining ravioli. (The fried ravioli can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool them completely, then cover and refrigerate. Before serving, place them on a baking sheet and rewarm in a preheated 375 degrees F oven just until they are heated through, about 7 minutes.)

Spray the top side of the mint leaves very lightly with nonstick spray. Working with 1 leaf at a time, dredge the coated side of the leaves in sugar to coat lightly.

Arrange 2 fried ravioli on each plate. Dust the ravioli with powdered sugar. Garnish with the sugared mint leaves and serve.

Enjoy!

What, am I the only one who thought of Mint juleps?!?!? :ROFLMAO: :wacko: :ROFLMAO: :angel:

Ice
Mint
Bourbon
Simple Syrup

John

Back
Top Bottom