Mixed rice and Pork Chop questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
Okay about to head out to the grocer got a couple of quick questions.

1.) I'm making some rice tonight, it is a mixture. Brown Rice, Wild Rice, Sweet Brown Rice, and a couple of others. It looks delicious. I'm making it with salt, pepper, beef stock, fresh garlic, onion, carrots. I want to throw in a fresh herb, my question is, which would be best? Im eating it with pork chops, so something i could add to the pork as well would be cool. What i want to do, is throw in a little branch of the herbs while the rice is cooking, then take it out before serving.

2.) What is the best way to make pork chops come out tender? The past two times i've cooked pork chops they have been rubbery. I will use a high quality thick cut lean pork chop. I have a stainless steel skillet i could use to sear them and then finish in the oven, would that work? I would rather not sear them and simmer them with the rice in the same pot, btw.

What would be a good way to season these to serve with the rice i have outlined above?

thanks in advance

Cheers

2) The best way, IMO, is to brine them first. This is a foolproof plan for tender, juicy chops. And don't overcook them. Sear and blast in a hot oven works very well for pork chops.

Season? What do you like? Do you want some sweetness? Tell me more.

1) Is this a package of rice with cooking directions or did you mix it yourself? Because different types of rice have different cooking times.

Herbs? What do you like? Tell me more.

Thyme is good with both pork and the rice.

Cook the pork as you described-pan sear then finish in the oven.

Don't overcook the pork. That's the most common problem with pork. Because it's so lean, it can dry out easily.

Also conside a brine before cooking. Adds flavor and moisture.

jennyema said:
2) The best way, IMO, is to brine them first. This is a foolproof plan for tender, juicy chops. And don't overcook them. Sear and blast in a hot oven works very well for pork chops.

Season? What do you like? Do you want some sweetness? Tell me more.

1) Is this a package of rice with cooking directions or did you mix it yourself? Because different types of rice have different cooking times.

Herbs? What do you like? Tell me more.
nah no sweetness jen. i like all kinds of herbs ^^

I'm making the rice mixture myself.

so thyme huh? when do i put the thyme on the pork chops b/c i know it will get burnt to **** if i sear it.

as for the brine, trying to keep it low sodium, but thank you^^

Andy - Should i sear the pork at MEDIUM HIGH in my skillet like i do with my chicken, or more at HIGH like i do with my steaks?

Also, should i put the oven at 425 or 450 to finish?

these are gonna be 1" thick chops i believe. just normal thick cut.

sear for 1 minute on each side or 1:30 ?

Sage, Thyme, S & P are classic pork seasonings. But if you want to be a bit bolder, season with ginger, garlic, S & P, and cover with Pineapple before placing in the oven.

Other seasonings that will work well with pork and rice include Rosemary, Oregano, red-pepper, currie, and mustard to name a few. Pork has a delicate flavor and so must not be overspiced. Smoke also works exceptionally well with both the pork and rice, as do various barnecue sauces. And don't forget onion as a flavoing. The sweetness compliments the savory pork and adds to the rice as well.

You can even top the baking chops with apple-pie filling and serve along-side the rice. Sweet & sour, or plumb sauce makes a great condiment, as does Hoisin Sauce.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

im curious as to how to impliment all those flavors when searing. do i sear them, take them off the skillet, then rub them with all those herbs and finish in oven? Ive only ever seared with salt + pepper and dried ground spices like papriki, chili powder, etc

So sage +thyme together? Sounds good. Can i put some sage in the rice too? over all, in general, is sage + thyme a good flavor blend?

cheers

Sage and Thyme are similar in flavor. So blend first and then sprinkle over the pork, after searing it. Also, the other flavors work with pork, but should be used as individual flavorings, not all together.

What I gave you were flavors that work with both pork and rice. And yes, each of them can be added to the rice as it cooks, except for the sauces. They would be mixed in at the table, either as a condiment, or before serving.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Mylegsbig said:
So sage +thyme together? Sounds good. Can i put some sage in the rice too? over all, in general, is sage + thyme a good flavor blend?

cheers

It's a good combo if you like the flavors they provide. They are traditionally considered to be good with pork.

If you choose to brine the pork, you could introduce the thyme in the brine.

andy, how about this mate

----
Andy - Should i sear the pork at MEDIUM HIGH in my skillet like i do with my chicken, or more at HIGH like i do with my steaks?

Also, should i put the oven at 425 or 450 to finish?

these are gonna be 1" thick chops i believe. just normal thick cut.

sear for 1 minute on each side or 1:30 ?
--------------

also, quick question about the rice... is it okay to dice up carrots celery onions garlic and cook the rice with those in there? or will it mess up the water/rice ratio?

the rice has to cook for 50 mins is why. it seems like it could be a delicate balance and could go awry easily?

ive never cooked brown rice before, only white and basmati, and wild rice from boxes.

If you don't brine the pork be very careful about overcooking.

Searing isn't usually a good idea if the meat is coated with spices -- you'll get a blackened pork chop. You can sautee and finish in a hot oven.

I am concermed about the rice. Rice can be tricky enough, esp. real wild rice, so if you have a bunch of different types of rice that have not been parboiled and if you don't have a TNT recipe, you could end up with a mess on your hands ....:(

jenny im cooking it in a rice pot separately, with a lid, just curious if the diced veggies will screw up the water/rice ratio. the rice is from a bag, the grains are premixed, just not seasoned

Okay jenny how long do you suggest i brine them? i'll be making 3 thick cut pork chops.

How much liquid / salt ?

Last edited:
Sear the pork in olive oil on all sides and place in 375 degree oven till it pork reaches 145 degrees and LET IT REST FOR 15-20 MINUTES. If you cut meats right after cooking them, the juices will run out and you'll be left with a piece of dry meat/poultry.

mission texas lol im from mcallen. i dont have a meat thermometer im gonna have to just cook for a certain period of time.

I'd sear for at least 1:30. After that time, take a look and see if the color is what you want. If not, add 30 seconds.

400F is good. You dont need to go higher. They probably won't take more than 10 minutes or so. Go by the temperature - 145 F internal.

For 1" thick chops, I don't think you need to rest them for any more than 5-10 minutes. The purpose of resting is to let the meat cool. The muscle fibers relax as they cool and can re-absorb the fluids. A 1" thick chop will be OK in 5-10 minutes.

what about the rice? okay to throw in those diced veggies?

do you think the rice would be better with beefstock or with chickenstock?

rice has to cook for 50 minutes so assume the water/rice ratio is is critical as there is more room for error.

Big, if it's premixed and has directions then that's ok. Whew. I don't think the carrots and onions will throw off the water ratio much, if at all. Perhaps go a few T short on the water.

I think chix stock would work better. Beef might overpower the rice.

Brine: 1/2 cup kosher salt and 1/4-1/3 cup sugar (brown is best, IMO) per gallon of water. You can also add flavoring agents like the herbs you are using. Plus peppercorns, bay leaves, garlic etc. I usually simmer the herbs in a small pan of water for 15 min. Let cool a bit then use that water and some ice to make the brine.

Let the chops soak for about an hour (<--- more?)

jenny, i can brine and then sear and it wont be a problem? just pat them dry?

also, a gallon sounds like a lot.dont i just need enough to completely submerge 3 chops?

ie can i just use less water sticking with the ratios you listed?

Yes and yes.

Rinse off the chops and pat dry with paper towels. Then proceed.

And you are right -- the brine "recipe" is a ratio only. You can cut it down or make it larger (like for a turkey) but keep the basic ratio. It should taste salty like seawater and the sugar cust down on the "sharpness" of the salt, enhancing the savory flavor.

And for Goshsakes BUY A MEAT THERMOMETER!!!! You, of all people! You cook meat all the time! You need one! They are right there in the supermarket, too. Do I have to organize a collection from DC members and send you one??:-p

Back
Top Bottom