Mixing sauce with meat before cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bison

Assistant Cook
I have this recipe for lasagna that says to brown all the meat(beef and sausage) first, then add the tomato sauce and cook longer. If I add the tomato sauce to the raw meat and cook it all together, would it be safe?

It will be safe if you cook it all the way through

But your sauce will be greasy and won't have the meaty flavor that browning will give you.

You don't brown meat for safety reasons, you brown meat for flavor. I'd definitely recommend browning.

JenyEma nailed it. As a side not, if you combine sauce to ground beef, but it moderate amounts, you can make some pretty interesting, and flavorful meat loaf mixtures.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Safe? Yes... Good? No! Hi! Marco here.
Browning correctly will give taste to the meat: the Maillard's reaction combines amino acids and sugars when the meat is exposed to temperatures between 140-180° (see http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction). Seedling the meat at that temperature, the meat will remain soft, it would dry and harden instead if mixed to the wet tomato sauce or purée.
Also seal the meat with fat (oil or butter) and choose cuts with fat: it will give flavour and keep it soft.
Well... This is the long boring explanation. The quicker answer would still be this: NOOOOOOOOOO! :)
Bye! I hope I've been helpful somehow :)

Back
Top Bottom